Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha warrior cam and valves

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha warrior cam and valves

I have a 97 yamaha warrior and it was just recently rebuilt and bored .002 to clean the cylinder up but i would like a little more power. I have decided to go with a cam. I was wondering which cam would be the best overall gain. I want a little more low end and a little more speed and power in top end. I dont want to lose any power at either end though. I also wasn't sure what all would have to be done as far as valves. I would like bigger valves but i dont know what all has to be changed. i have a stage 2 jet kit a k$n and a dg exhaust system. The head has also been ported and polished. Are there any other cheap easy things that i could do that i dont have to tear the motor completely apart.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check with Webb cams and see what they recommend for your set up, on your motor, a cam swap is easy, just set it to TDC, loosen the cam chain tensioner, and pull the cam gear off, at TDC, there is no load on the cam, and you should be able to pull it out and replace it with a new one, then make sure your timing marks are correct, remount the chain and put the tensioner back in, check your valve lash, and you are ready to go.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default valves

If i do a cam for midrange to high is it gonna make a quite a bit of difference. where are the timing marks in the head.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you are at TDC, the dot on the cam gear should be lined up to the mark on the head, it is at about the 10 o'clock position, to your left.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I ran the Webcam 84 grind in my Warrior. Had to run the heavy duty valve springs. While I was in there I added +1mm Kibblewhite valves and had it ported & polished. All this with the stock piston, and some would argue, that many head mods on a stock piston would kill the bottom end power, but that totally was not the case, it really brought that engine to life! Great low end torque, faster revs through the midrange, and screamed on top (for a Warrior motor anyway). Later I ended up adding a JE 366cc higher compression piston but that didn't really add much power compared to the head mods, and even later I added a Four Stroke Tech 450cc stroker kit which added a ton of power.

In my opinion the Hotcams for the Warriors are gay - just look at the specs on Hotcam's and Webcam's websites. The lift and duration for the Webcams are much more than the Hotcams. To me, the only advantage to the Hotcam is you can run the stock valve springs, but while you're in the engine, why not do it right? You can get the springs for like $100 and have them installed at a machine shop for around $40 and then you'll have a real cam making some real power.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

we've been finding that the web .390 works the best