Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

87 warrior sparked once and hasn't since

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 warrior sparked once and hasn't since

I'm new to working on atvs. And I just bought this atv not running. I replaced the stator, coil, and I have two cdi's. It sparked once and now won't spark at all it won't even spark if I turn the key off then back on. I'm completely baffled I'm not sure about what to do next or what it could be. It's a 87 warrior. The parking break has been deleted and I tried bypassing the the clutch switch still nothing. Neutral light also stays on would this have something to do with this? Anything that can lead me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:34 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

May be what this guy had http://forums.atvconnection.com/yama...ont-start.html they share the same 348cc motor.

what an adventure. new carb new cdi same results...read another forum similar problem, someone said try switching pulse coil wires, well what did i have to lose. nearly scared me outta my boots when this thing fired right up,now i have a beat up spare cdi and carb. just wanted to pass this along in case someone else has this occur on theirs thanks

Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by WarriorPride87
I'm new to working on atvs. And I just bought this atv not running. I replaced the stator, coil, and I have two cdi's. It sparked once and now won't spark at all it won't even spark if I turn the key off then back on. I'm completely baffled I'm not sure about what to do next or what it could be. It's a 87 warrior. The parking break has been deleted and I tried bypassing the the clutch switch still nothing. Neutral light also stays on would this have something to do with this? Anything that can lead me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced!
Have you tested the primary coil? I'd start right at the plug and work my way back,unless you've already confirmed no spark from the stator/pickup coil. Have you tried a different plug? Check continuity through the coil to plug wire,then resistance on the coil itself. Let us know what you find,if you get it figured out.