Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELP! 2002 Big Bear 4x4 400 rear fender hangover!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 2002 Big Bear 4x4 400 rear fender hangover!

I am buying an 2002 Big Bear 4x4 400 from my Uncle. It is being stored at his hunting property far away from either one of our house so I cant get these measurements that I need. When he bought it he had it delivered. I am now buying it but I need to know what size trailer it will fit on. I am trying to buy the smallest trailer possible. I can get a really good deal right now on a 4'-2"x6'-0" Trailer. But when I read the specs it shows it as a 79" long ATV and the trailer is only 72". When I look at online photos of the 2002 their seems to be quite a bit of hang over from the rear fender to the back of the rear wheel. What I am hoping is that the hang over is 7 1/2" so I can back the ATV up and let that hang over the tung side of the trailer and still close the gate. Can anybody tell me what this hang over measures? A measurement from the front most part of the front fender to the back side of the rear tire will also help to confirm if this trailer will work or not.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Trailblazer

I have an '03. I will go measure for you after the sun comes up.

Matt B

Old 03-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Trailblazer

Length appears to be 78 from front bumper to rear fender. Overhang at rear is about 4 inches. An obstruction at the rear would have to be 24 inches or less to clear the fenders and taillight. Longest measurement from front tire to rear tire is 72 inches.

I am thinking it will not fit.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Trailblazer

PM with phone number sent - call if you need more info.

M.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:52 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Your good, my friend puts his much larger 660 grizzly in his short box Dodge ram 6' box with the tailgate up.

The 79" is measured from front of front bumper to rear of rear rack not front of front wheel to rear of rear wheel.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TLC
Your good, my friend puts his much larger 660 grizzly in his short box Dodge ram 6' box with the tailgate up.

The 79" is measured from front of front bumper to rear of rear rack not front of front wheel to rear of rear wheel.

I agree with your measurement. The tire-to-tire measurement is 72 inches. If the "container" is taller than 12 inches at the front (of the quad), the bumper will make the required length longer. If the container is more than 22 inches at the rear, the muffler will make the required length longer.

If the trailer tongue end of the quad can be loaded to the tire, it might work if the ramp can be angled instead of straight up.

Matt B

Old 03-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is the trailer I am thinking about buying.

4'2" X 6 Ft Trailer with Mesh Gate & Spare

Old 03-23-2013, 04:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

unbolt the front wood and cut the support out. screw some 2x2 to the base as wheel chocks and ratchet strap the quad down.
i have a trailer for mine, which i cut all the sides off so it is just a flat bed. i towed my quad 250miles on it when i picked it up last week, without any problems. and i havent fitted wheel chocks yet. just used 2 straps. one from front of trailer around rear axle and back, and one from rear of trailer, around front frame and back.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:03 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by Morthernforest
This is the trailer I am thinking about buying.

4'2" X 6 Ft Trailer with Mesh Gate & Spare
Still looks good. The back gate will not allow over hang but the low front rail will. Back the ATV in if you have to.

Also remember the the front or back tires will squish in a inch or two against the front rail. The good thing about a tight fit is you just drive on close the ramp gate and go,no straps are needed.

Looks good for the price. Don,t wait to long it looks like it will not be for sale long.
The good thing about a small tailer is a 30mpg Mini Van or car can get your ATV out to the staging area. You can leave the gas guzzling truck at home.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I went ahead and bought the trailer posted above today. They where the original manufacturer and had went over the entire trailer before selling. I already moved the spare tire up and it has plenty of tong to add some supports and an extended board while still maintaining a good turning ratios. It is a 2011 and only weights 400 pounds empty and it has a 1600 pound capacity so the ATV should not be a problem. It has leaf springs and towed very well behind my 1997 ford explorer with towing package. It had very little bounce empty even at 75 MPH. Not sure If I will keep it after I move the 4 wheeler to my hunting property or not but if I do resell it I think I will be able to get my money back out of it. How much would you guys have been willing to paid for a trailer like this if you where in the market for one?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! 2002 Big Bear 4x4 400 rear fender hangover!