ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Raptor suspension help (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/35387-raptor-suspension-help.html)

raptor01blue 03-28-2001 10:27 AM

I seem to be bottoming out on the big jump's and was wondering if you guy's could help me get me suspension dailed in. I weigh 207lbs. I have the front's set at setting D. The rear is where I need help. First the rebound damping force it is the factory setting should I increase this? If so how many click's? And what does this do? The next is the compression damping force also at the factory setting should I also increase this? And how click's? And again what does this do? The spring preload I guess I will stiffen up that is pretty straight forward. Any help to get my dino dailed in would be greatly appreciated!

Raptor Blue
GYT-R FULL SKIDS
GYT-R HEEL GUARDS
GYT-R SHOCKCOVERS
GYT-R HEADLIGHT GUARDS
GYT-R HOUR/TACH METER
GYT-R BLUE STROBE GRAPHICS&SEAT
GYT-R CARBON FIBER PIPE
GRAYDON PROLINE NERFS
STAINLESS BRAIDED STEEL RADIATOR HOSES
HUBS PAINTED BLUE

jwranger 03-28-2001 11:47 AM

First I would increase spring preload to keep the ride height level front to rear with you on it. Scince there are no adjustments for rebound and compression on the front I would leave those alone until a test ride. If the suspension still bottoms increase compression dampning until it stops. This will increase how stiff the backend is all the time though. You shouldn't have to mess with the rebound dampning scince it is a fixed rate spring in the rear. By the way this is all applied book knowledge of how shocks work and experiance with 2.5" of front travel on a mountain bike. So any of you experianced quad racers out there feel free to corrrect me. Hope I helped.

bash 03-28-2001 11:59 AM

I once you change one setting, all others will be affected in some way. Slowing down the rebound won't help bottoming, but when you get to tightening up everything, the tendency to "bounce" back up will be greater. That's when slowing down the rebound may help.

xtreme165 03-28-2001 12:00 PM

raptor01blue, YOu need aftermarket suspension the stock susp cannot handle big air with any rider on it. Being 207 pounds the front is way to soft and you'll keep bottoming no matter what you do to them but for the time being ser them up at the highest setting/notch as for the rear your rebound should be close but turn the compression in the whole way and back it out 4 clicks if this doesnt help rear you'll have to get a heavier rear shock spring or some different valving or both depending on how much you wanna spend. If I were you I would spend the $$$ if possible and get susp exp up front before you rip the shock mounts off of the frame as someone did already in this forum from bottoming out. The rear is a cheap fix if the comp adjust isnt enough spend the $80 and get a heavier rate rear shock spring. The fronts will cost you some $$$ but its better than destroying your frame, ankles, back, wrist etc... Let me know if you need any exact infor on adjustment and I can help and if you decide to get susp I can save you $$$. Good luck and as I stated before Iwouldnt go to big untill you get the Raptor set up right or you'll kill the quad and possibly hurt yourself!

raptor01blue 03-28-2001 01:12 PM

Xtreme thank's for the info, first why are selling your Raptor? I think new shock's up front are in order and should have some soon. The rear is ok for now, thanks for the help.

xtreme165 03-28-2001 01:49 PM

raptor01blue, I have raced bikes for a while now and I like the 2stroke feel better for what I do at least for now anyway. The power of my raptor was great once I got the pipe but it still wasnt a 2stroke which is what I have grown to really enjoy. We also climb really steep hills and I mean steep and the raptor just wanted to climb to the sky and the R gets wheel spin and doesnt lift as easy. Anyway they both are great machines but for now a 2stroke is more sutable for me.

RoadKillJoe 03-29-2001 12:13 AM

There is a lot of good info here, but I would appreciate someone explaining how to set up the rear shock for general trial riding, i.e. not grabbing big air. This is my first quad with adjustable damping and rebound and I have left it at stock settings because I don't know what I'm looking for. Also some info on adjusting front shocks if I replace them.

Thanks,

rnog 03-29-2001 05:54 AM

Word of advice, change the front shocks ASAP. I weigh 190 with gear and I ripped the front shocks from the frame after I bottomed out in an average size jump. The rear shock is OK.

RAPTORMAN01 03-29-2001 09:26 PM

I just had my rear shock replaced by dealer.(free)
the dampning adjustment was not working and I was bottoming out on small jumps but now I am high flying again!!!!
check it out it could be bad!!
let us know, thanks Rick

01 RAPTOR B/W

joeyd 03-31-2001 06:26 PM

I am also 270 pounds.l I have been getting big air since i have gotten my bike. It has never bottomed on me whatsoever. In fact the rear feels fine to me. I have the fronts on one click up. works ok. Howvever i am looking into some TCs shocks. Whats the deal extreme? do they customize these shocks for your wieght and riding style? what about the ohlins shocks? Thanks