Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Anybody ride Raptors or Banshee's in the woods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I'm thinking about either getting a Raptor or a Banshee. I ride in the woods, but I'm not really into hillclimbing and all that, just trailriding. I've always like the way a Banshee looks and sounds, just don't know how one would handle around here, and I heard the Raptor had a lot of bottom end, plus reverse, but I still like the 2 stroke twin. So, what would I be happiest with you say? Banshee or Raptor?

Old 03-29-2001, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

I would get a raptor cuase got reverse,and u can loug it if u have too.I ride my cousin's raptor and i like in the wood's. It is a pain in the rear too mix gas all the time kinda get's old. Plus u will spending more money in the banshee.

Old 03-29-2001, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

For woods and trails you have to go with the RAPTOR.That is what and where I ride and I love it and you will to.
good luck!!!!

01 RAPTOR B/W

Old 03-29-2001, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with the raptor for riding in the woods, for the little time that I had to ride my banshee it was pretty hairy in the woods, she diddnt make it out alive..

Old 03-29-2001, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

I won't talk about better or faster or whatsoever.
Just plain basic FUN. If FUN is what you want, get a Banshee. NOTHING (I'll say it again if necessary) beats the twin screamer midrange hit. Raptor probably has a lighter front end (thus easier on the arms), but I want to see a 4 stroke explode in midrange. It doesn't give you grip, but it's great fun. oh, and it's way harder to stall a banshee than a Raptor (4 times less explosions!!to keep the thing running!)
PS if you take care of your bike (and don't try to mess with it too much), it will be reliable, and not need more maintenance than a 4 stroke. I have minor problems with mine, but almost all were rider caused (lots by the previous owner), and some mistakes from me. Once they're repaired, it runs fantastic.
As you might have noticed, I'm a banshee fanatic, and LOVE my machine, even with its slight defaults.

Old 03-29-2001, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

The Banshee is alot easier to stall than the Raptor.

Old 03-29-2001, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

I have never owned a banshee but just bought a new Raptor. I gotta say, I'm awfully impressed with my Raptor. First time I rode it was today. I also rode my Blaster and Warrior. This thing is a night and day improvement over both. I have had little experience with Banshees and only on sand. I'd say for a duner the Raptor is gonna have a hell of a time taking a Shee in it's own element, but in the woods a Raptor is quite at home. A Banshee will probably be more exciting but I doubt it would take a Raptor in the woods. You gotta remember tho, a Banshee with a set of pipes is going to outrun a piped Raptor every time. If it's pure speed/acceleration go with the Banshee! I however am extremely pleased with my Raptor.

Old 03-30-2001, 03:06 AM
Pro Rider

I would get a raptor cuase got reverse,and u can loug it if u have too.I ride my cousin's raptor and i like in the wood's. It is a pain in the rear too mix gas all the time kinda get's old. Plus u will spending more money in the banshee.
Tooey,
If mixing gas is a pain in the rear, I would hate to see you rejet. Mixing gas only takes .5 seconds. On the money side, you will spend more on the Raptor since aftermarket parts are so easy and come in a wide array for the Banshee. The Raptor retails for $6499 (you might get it out the door for 7k), the Banshee cost $5999 (and I guarantee you can get it out the door for 6k ot little more). Now, with the extra money you saved (about 1k) you can go out and buy some woods pipes (2-1 setup), filter, jet kit, nerfs, and tires/rims all for under 1k (thats if you know how to shop).

So, to the original poster, if you like the Banshee, get one. They are good trail bikes as well. I dont care what anyone says, I ride mine in just about every condition, mostly trails, and it rides fine.

Old 03-30-2001, 11:31 AM
Range Rover

I lot of people will tell you that the banshee is terrible in the woods. If your not use to the power of a banshee its going to be a handfull at first. Like any quad, you just have to get use to it, take it slow at first, get use to how the chasis and motor handles. I take my banshee anywhere in the woods. I blaze new trails just the way I did on my blaster or my buddies on utilities....running over laid down trees, off cambers, making trails that arent actually trails yet...etc. I would recommend a coolhead for the stop and go riding..sometimes you can smell the radiator fluid cooking. I cant tell you one or the other thats up to you. I'm still dying to ride the Raptor. As far as price, check around. Theres a place here in Ohio that advertises a new 2001 banshee for $5,389 raptors for $6,296. My buddy bought his '99 shee new from them, a couple years back, for about $5,600 OTD.

Old 03-30-2001, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

A Banshee with a set of pipe's will take a piped Raptor everytime. Hellooo wake up your breathing way too many exhuast fume's. I have a piped Raptor and when I went riding last weekend 3 piped Banshee's wanted to race b4 I even got my bike off the trailer. Any way the first 2 were beaters so they were easy to take. Now the last guy had a 2001 Banshee with Tommey's and a jet kit. And said he had been riding for quite some time. Well let's just put it this way we took off both spining tire's I even had to let my front end drop and I still had about four or five quad length's on him at the end. He wanted to race again so I was up for it. Same thing both bike's spining big time but this time I really smoked him. Needless to say he did'nt stop to talk to us anymore. And even when my quad was brand new I raced 2 2001 Banshee's stock to stock and ate them for lunch. I'm not trying to start anything just wanted to share with the group.

Raptor Blue

Quick Reply: Anybody ride Raptors or Banshee's in the woods?