ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   26" Maxxis Zillas or 26" ITP Mayhems (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/359958-26-maxxis-zillas-26-itp-mayhems.html)

EL"OSO" 09-25-2014 02:54 PM

26" Maxxis Zillas or 26" ITP Mayhems

Well I have been doing extensive research on both tires but can't find much on the "Mayhems", not "MEGA Mayhems"... Seeing as how I can't get 27's on my BB without a lift I am looking at a 26" tire. I found a lot of stuff on the Zillas and they seem to be a good all around tire. The YT videos tho show them getting stuck a lot :huh: So with the good text reviews and not so good videos on YT of the maxxis, and the little to no text or YT videos on the Mayhems, I am leaning towards the Maxxis Zillas. I wanted to see if any of you guys had input on either of these tires as I am looking to get what I need.
I live in SE Texas and ride mainly hard pack and mud, not too many hills or too much sand. Some mud is pretty thick like peanut butter, but I don't get into too much of that. Our soil here contains a lot of clay, so it seems to be thicker in general.
The lug on the Zillas is 1/8th bigger than the Mayhems, and wonder if that would make a great difference. Thanks for taking the time to read guys. I appreciate it!

TLC 09-26-2014 09:59 AM

I had 26" Zillas on my first 350 Grizzly SRA. I chose them because they are the lightest 6 ply with a tall mud lug made.
Click on spec links.

Example a Zilla 26x11-12 with a tall 1.19" lug and weighs 23.3lbs.Maxxis Zilla

The Mayhem 26x11-12 has a shorter 1" lug yet weighs 4lbs more at 27lbs a much larger Zilla 28x12-12 weights that much.ITP Mayhem why turn 16 more lbs of rubber with a shorter lug if you don't have to.

The small 24x10-12 Mayhem weighs the same a 26x11-12 Zillas at 23lbs.

When you put a 1000 miles on the Zilla it will have a short 1" lug like a new Mayhem eventually.

The lug on the Zillas is 1/8th bigger than the Mayhems
1/8th= 0.125"
The Zilla has a 0.19" advantage so its a little more then 1/8th. more like 3/16th.

EL"OSO" 09-26-2014 10:29 AM

Yea, the lug size is what was getting me, I just rounded down a little haha. Also the weight was the other deciding factor being that I do not want any cluctch work done. I just thought maybe the pattern on the Mayhem was a little more geared towards the mud as opposed to the Zilla. Although I saw on a few threads I searched that people were knocking on Mayhem for mocking the tread pattern on the Zillas. I just couldn't see it. But I guess it makes sense. Thank you for ur reply. Also how did they hold up in the mud for you?

TLC 09-26-2014 10:46 AM

They were great in mud and self cleaned very well I thought. There not Hardcore like "Mud Zillas" but a good do it all tire I found.
When I sold the ATV I offered to buy the tires and give him the old stock tires back but he did not bite on that.

Seeing as how I can't get 27's on my BB without a lift I am looking at a 26" tire
Are you sure? My 350 Grizzly SRA had room to spare after I put on the 26" Zillas. Very similar to a Big Bear chassis.

The Mayhem and Zilla have similar lug patterns to me. Also same price.

http://pi.b5z.net/i/u/1631707/i/Mayhem_ATV_Tires.jpg
http://pi.b5z.net/i/u/1631707/i/maxxis-zilla.jpg

EL"OSO" 09-26-2014 11:55 AM

When u put them side by side like that, so to speak, they look a lot alike haha. I think the SRA have more clearance than the IRS. My bro in law has an '05 BB with 26-12-12 in the back and he got about half an inch to spare before the rear fender gets a makeover.
I was concerned about the heighth of the 26 Zillas as people said they run short. But the gentleman I talked to on the phone from kgpowersports when I changed my order from 27 to 26 said they will stretch out and get to their full diameter more less as u ride. I am assuming he is right as they say they are made of a pretty soft rubber correct?

TLC 09-26-2014 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the only pic I have with the 26" Zillas on my first 350 Grizzly (Did not keep that 350 long) but you can make out there is plenty of room to go to a taller 27".

I thinking about getting them again for my other 350 Grizzly which is the IRS version rather then SRA.

https://atvconnection.com/forums/att...p;d=1411752547

HondaR24 09-26-2014 11:25 PM

Also keep in mind that not all tires measure true to there listed height. The zilla is one of those tires that run short. I think a 26 only measure around 24.5-25 inches and the 28s are really only a tad over 26 inches from what I've seen around the forums.

EL"OSO" 09-26-2014 11:56 PM

Well I just got them in today and I got the 26s. I'm pretty disappointed as they only measure out to out, lug end to lug end, 24".... Hope it changes a LOT WHEN I mount, put air, and run them a little..... Did u have the same experience TLC

TLC 09-27-2014 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by EL"OSO" (Post 3263449)
Well I just got them in today and I got the 26s. I'm pretty disappointed as they only measure out to out, lug end to lug end, 24".... Hope it changes a LOT WHEN I mount, put air, and run them a little..... Did u have the same experience TLC

They will fill out aired and mounted ,my friend has 25" Mudlites with the aggressive (XLs) 1-1/8th" lug on the same ATV and my 26" Zillas are defiantly taller.
And they sure were taller then the stock 25" tires that came with the ATV when I bought it.

EL"OSO" 09-27-2014 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by TLC (Post 3263451)
They will fill out aired and mounted ,my friend has 25" Mudlites with the aggressive (XLs) 1-1/8th" lug on the same ATV and my 26" Zillas are defiantly taller.
And they sure were taller then the stock 25" tires that came with the ATV when I bought it.

This is very reassuring brother, thanks for taking the time to respond. I will mount them tonight and post a pic of what they look like. I can't wait!