Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine 450 idling issues,Vid to hear it enclosed

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine 450 idling issues,Vid to hear it enclosed

I just got this 09 wolverine 450 "190 miles" the other week for a xmas present for my son,,so other then me riding it a couple of times it hasnt been out on the trails yet. So maybe it will get better with time as it gets some use,I dont know?
But it always fires right up,and never gives a problem while riding it,seems pretty responsive when you jam on the throttle,But the problem comes in when you just want to idle.

So far I didnt really mess with anything,I did drain some gas from the drain hose on the bottom of the carb,Looked clean and didnt see any bits of dirt,out of the glass I got out of it,I did see a little bit of water,but not much to think this is my problem.

I added some new fuel with just a little seafoam and played with the idle adjustment screw,and it idles longer than it did from when I first got it.

I did read about the fuel/air mixture screw,and I got a mirror and looked underneath it and I do think I see the screw,Its not under a cap or anything like what I read. But it is a flat head screw in a recessed hole,I tried to get at it but looks like I will need a special tool to turn it,so I didnt mess with that.

The air filter looks to be in good shape not real dirty,I also read about carb vent lines,Im not sure but I see one hose that goes from the carb right to the air filter box,well on the sleeve part after the filter "the part between the box and engine" I also tried to run it without the filter and that was just worse. Is there more than 1 carb vent hose?

Well the video is crap but its really just to listen to,to see if anyone can hear something that might help pin point the problem. I would think if there was some dirt in the carb blocking stuff up I would get some sputtering during idle and while riding. You can hear like a quick hesitation every so often then it will just shut off. Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJBL...ature=youtu.be

Old 11-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

You probably need to give the carb a good cleaning

Old 11-06-2014, 07:59 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If it does not clear itself then you have to remove the carb for a good cleaning. Even though it has low miles and is in great shape the varnish from the old gas from sitting may require a good cleaning .

Lots of good videos on youtube on doing it or just drop the carb off at a dealer (Not whole ATV) it will not cost much.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Range Rover

Give it another good shot of sea foam and drive it some more if that don't do it and all vacum lines are still good take it in. I'm not sure the idle adjust is where you think and if that don't do it take it in. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer

A friend told me that it sounded like it was running a little bit lean and I should try to give the air/fuel screw out a 1/8-1/4 turn to see if that does it.

I guess it couldnt hurt to try. I see there is like no way to get to that screw unless I have that special 90 degree ratchet screw driver thing,and I dont. So can I just loosed the carb and rotate it within the rubber sleeves to get to the screw? Or is that carb sitting in a groove within the rubber sleeves?

I'll try more seafoam and do my best to run it a bit more,Its kinda hard because its a surprise for xmas. Just stick with the recommended dose which for a carb clean they recommend 2oz per 1 gallon.?

Old 11-07-2014, 10:11 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Is it just your idling but it drives fine? I also fine a good run helps, take the ATV out to some open gravel road and give it a good high speed run.

I just bought a 350 that was sitting for over a year and my first weekend run it back fired for the first half mile here and there and after that it been great ever since.

Idling in your garage is not the same as a 50mph one mile run to clear things up.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Trailblazer

Well I fired it up and took it for a ride around the neighborhood,did a few passes at 35'ish MPH and drove it around. I wouldnt call it a good hard ride,but when I got back I put it in neutral and let it sit,,did the same thing. Idled fine for a min or two with that slight hesitation every now and again during the idle then it just shut off.

So Im just going to bite the bullet and remove that carb this weekend open it up and take a look and do some cleaning. I been watching some vids about carb cleans,some do more than others,but I pretty much got the idea.

I didnt really see a video for the wolverine 450 carb removal but I did see a vid where the guy adjusted the valves on the wolverine,Im assuming I would have to do the same removal process to remove the carb,Like remove the plastic,dash display and gas tank? The valve adjusting didnt look to bad either,Should I check and adjust that while im in there,,or should it be good with under 200 miles?

Well I just got a can a carb cleaner I plan on using,Im also thinking of going to the auto parts store and get a basic fuel filter,Is there any reason why these dont have them on now,Should I not use one?

If there are any tips,or links to spec manuals,instructions,vids that you think will help me,,Please link them or let me know. Im going in tonight!

Old 11-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

In your post you stated that the air filter looked good but did you clean it and if so did you oil it if you didn't that will make it run lean if you did oil it make sure that you didn't over oil it that we choke it out

Old 11-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by little c
In your post you stated that the air filter looked good but did you clean it and if so did you oil it if you didn't that will make it run lean if you did oil it make sure that you didn't over oil it that we choke it out
No I didnt clean it,Im running it as is. I guess that would be a good thing to do. Im not sure about what shops I have locally,I know I have a harley/honda dealer,think they would carry some cleaning solvents,filter oil? I'll give them a call,,Any parts store carry this kind of stuff,,If not I guess I'll have to order.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Use dish soap mixed with water and rinse off really good just make sure it's dry before you oil it get some filter oil from the shop make sure it's for your type of filter just take it with you and they should be able to tell you what you can use and how to do it if you're not sure how

Quick Reply: Wolverine 450 idling issues,Vid to hear it enclosed