Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

96 2wd timberwolf rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 04:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 2wd timberwolf rebuild questions

hey all, i have returned after many years of being absent. i recently purchased a 96 2wd timberwolf. it wasnt running, but was supposed to run well. yeah, one of those deals.

sp after i get it home and get it running, the wristpin started raising hell. gotta rebuild the engine. as soon as it started making that god awful noise, i slapped the automatic trickle charger on the new battery, covered it up and have started ordering parts.

i bought a used cylinder, as i didnt even want to change possible damage to the current jug. picked up a good used one off ebay for 45 bucks.

i have since ordered the following parts..............

the wiseco 71.5mm piston kit (new piston, head gasket set rings, clips and wristpin), new head bolts, new NGK plug, new valvoline ATV oil with a filter and a new cam chain with the tensioner and guides. the cylinder is at the machine shop being bored, gonna take the head in to have it gone over as well, and i also picked up a new fuel filter and a few cosmetic odds and ends.

the big question is the about changing cam chain...............what gaskets do i need to get for the cam chain replacement? i read that i need the stator gasket, but i dont know. i am gathering all the parts needed then im taking it to a local small engine builder and i want to have everything for them to put it back together.

i gave 400 for the quad and it even came with the title. i have about 250 in parts so far, and it needs tires. so im not in it too deep. i figure as long as i can keep it at the 1200 to 1500 mark when its done, im doing ok for an atv that will run for many more years.

after its all said and done, i will know what i have. im just fortunate it didnt blow apart out of no where.

thanks in advance for any input.

Rob