Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Converting my 03' Big Bear 400 to 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 03:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting my 03' Big Bear 400 to 4WD

Hey all. I'm new to the forums and I recently came across some good almost free parts to convert my 03' Big Bear 2wd to 4wd. Process seems pretty easy up to the point on actually plugging the the electrical's to the SERVO in front DIFF. Instead of rewiring my ATV's system etc I may just run new wire to the servo to use a manual lever switch to engage servo. This would probably be easiest to do.

What do you all think? This would save me cost of having to buy new harness etc.

Some of you may ask why not sell the ATV and just buy one. Well honestly it would cost me way more plus this ATV only has 340 miles.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the 2wd gear case even have an output port for the driveshaft for a front diff? if not, there is no way to convert it without swapping in a drivetrain from a 4wd quad. Its like converting a 2wheel truck to 4 wheel, it can be done, but by the time you are done, you will have a lot of money invested in a vehicle not designed to operate that way, and a factory 4wd is beefed up to handle the extra weight and torque coming from the driving front end. sounds like the quad is in great shape, you would be better off selling it and buying a four wheel drive model, I know that's not what you want to hear, but it would be a lot less of a headache that way.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 95wolv
Does the 2wd gear case even have an output port for the driveshaft for a front diff? if not, there is no way to convert it without swapping in a drivetrain from a 4wd quad. Its like converting a 2wheel truck to 4 wheel, it can be done, but by the time you are done, you will have a lot of money invested in a vehicle not designed to operate that way, and a factory 4wd is beefed up to handle the extra weight and torque coming from the driving front end. sounds like the quad is in great shape, you would be better off selling it and buying a four wheel drive model, I know that's not what you want to hear, but it would be a lot less of a headache that way.
Its easy. I purchased the middle drive gear thst pretty much just slides into the front freeze plug on the 400. The entire engine is same. Only the 2wd is missing middle drive gear. I was able to find that complete with bearings and all for 39$. That will put the output shaft from motor. I then found the front differential that already mounts to spot on frame. That was only 100 bucks and guy is including the servo actuator. The most expensive part actually is the front driveshaft that goes from motor to front differential. Ill get one though. Cv axles can be found used for like 30-40 bucks each and the front hubs with spline drop into existing wheel spindle are also under 50$. All in all converting this thing to 4 wheel drive wont even cost me more than 350-400 bucks.

Old 02-11-2021, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by RubenZ
Hey all. I'm new to the forums and I recently came across some good almost free parts to convert my 03' Big Bear 2wd to 4wd. Process seems pretty easy up to the point on actually plugging the the electrical's to the SERVO in front DIFF. Instead of rewiring my ATV's system etc I may just run new wire to the servo to use a manual lever switch to engage servo. This would probably be easiest to do.

What do you all think? This would save me cost of having to buy new harness etc.

Some of you may ask why not sell the ATV and just buy one. Well honestly it would cost me way more plus this ATV only has 340 miles.
Did you figure out how to make yours 4x4 I'm not sure about installing middle drive output shaft where this "plug" is at

Old 02-11-2021, 08:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Bryanlindaok
Did you figure out how to make yours 4x4 I'm not sure about installing middle drive output shaft where this "plug" is at
Apparently I was wrong and it wasn't easy. The engine is not the same as I could not remove that "PLUG". So the whole project was a bust. It would have been easy though but no point if I couldn't get that shaft in.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In most cases its just easier to sell the 2wd machine and buy a 4wd.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:28 PM
Range Rover

The only exception to that is if you get a GOOD deal on either a complete parts bike or all of the parts together that you need to do the swap, AND you do the work yourself...

I was in the same boat with my 04 Bruin 350. Already had the bike as a 2wd, but stumbled on an awesome deal for ALL of the parts needed (and then some) from a 4x4 to do the conversion. Did a full engine swap, harness swap, etc. It was all bolt-on, but it was a good bit of work. I don't regret it at all though!

Later on I bought another 4x4 Bruin that turned out to have a bad top end on the engine. I still had the 2wd motor sitting in the garage, so I was able to rob the top end from it to throw on the newly acquired 4x4 and it it back in working condition, so in the end it all worked out

The following users liked this post:
FlawleZ (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 12:23 PM
Classic Yamaha Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thall320578
The only exception to that is if you get a GOOD deal on either a complete parts bike or all of the parts together that you need to do the swap, AND you do the work yourself...

I was in the same boat with my 04 Bruin 350. Already had the bike as a 2wd, but stumbled on an awesome deal for ALL of the parts needed (and then some) from a 4x4 to do the conversion. Did a full engine swap, harness swap, etc. It was all bolt-on, but it was a good bit of work. I don't regret it at all though!

Later on I bought another 4x4 Bruin that turned out to have a bad top end on the engine. I still had the 2wd motor sitting in the garage, so I was able to rob the top end from it to throw on the newly acquired 4x4 and it it back in working condition, so in the end it all worked out

https://youtu.be/OrDuXF_56D8
Thanks for the video and feedback on your project. Funny enough I have the opposite, a 2WD Timberwolf that my wife will ride and i just recently picked up a '98 Big Bear 350 4x4. I'd like to make the Timberwolf 4x4 but may require more parts than worthwhile.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:46 PM
Range Rover

The Timberwolf is a completely different animal. The frame is actually different between 2wd and 4x4 Timberwolf.

The following users liked this post:
FlawleZ (02-21-2021)