Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFM100 Champ Exhaust Packing

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question YFM100 Champ Exhaust Packing

Does anyone have any experience taking apart the muffler on an older YFM100T Champ? Mine was built in 1987. The Badger has a similar muffler design, maybe there are others that are similar? I was able to get the pipe outlet out, but didn't notice anything obvious about how to disassemble the rest of the muffler so I can repack the exhaust.

This thing is 30 years old and to my knowledge has never had the exhaust packing replaced. I have new packing on order right now and should arrive today or tomorrow, just want to get an idea of how to take it apart. I saw a couple of videos online, but they seemed to relate more to newer style exhaust systems with rivets, but don't see that on mine.

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2016, 08:52 AM
Trailblazer

Here are some pics I took of the muffler. There is a mysterious bolt and the bottom on the inlet side of the muffler. Not sure what that's for either....maybe a drain? I'm going to look at it this weekend. If anyone has tips or experience with a muffler like this that would be a great help!

It's hard to see, but at the front of the muffler there's a little bolt sticking out on the bottom.

I have replacement screws for the outlet piece.

Everything looks welded up with no obvious way to pull it apart.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

Here are some pics of what I did. There really isn't much else inside the muffler other than an open chamber right after the pipe inlet comes in. I only had room to wrap the perforated outlet one time around with new packing, so I've got enough left for probably 10 years worth of repacking lol. Waiting for the sealant to cure before I test it tomorrow. Hopefully this was the right application, guess we'll see.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Are you sure it is supposed to be packed with anything? it looks to me as if some gas is supposed to go round the outsides of the mesh and then in through it. "Cosywrap" is for going round "straight through" pipes to absorb the sound waves.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:18 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by merryman
Are you sure it is supposed to be packed with anything? it looks to me as if some gas is supposed to go round the outsides of the mesh and then in through it. "Cosywrap" is for going round "straight through" pipes to absorb the sound waves.
Not really sure if it should be or not. There wasn't anything in there when I pulled it apart, but it may have been removed at some point. The only path the exhaust has to go is from outside the mesh through it and out of the pipe. The atv really suffers from lack of bottom end power, which I think I've read can be a symptom of no exhaust packing.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just shows the baffle and no packing on this 87 model.http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...6863#sch213918

Attached Thumbnails YFM100 Champ Exhaust Packing-ya4792_09.gif  
Old 08-08-2016, 09:10 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Just shows the baffle and no packing on this 87 model.
I was thinking the same thing you are when I dove into this and after spot checking a few newer models, it doesn't seem like any of them show the exhaust packing in the parts diagram. Kind of figured it was one of those things you just had to know it was there.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you didn't find any remnants of packing material,just oil coated and carboned up,it might be better performance wise just to clean the muffler and baffle and leave off the packing.Just a thought..

Old 08-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you didn't find any remnants of packing material,just oil coated and carboned up,it might be better performance wise just to clean the muffler and baffle and leave off the packing.Just a thought..
The two main reasons for attempting to repack the exhaust was for sound and hopefully increasing bottom end power. What are your thoughts on how leaving it off would increase performance?

Old 08-08-2016, 10:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Allowing freer flowing exhaust would be my thoughts on increasing performance without the packing and having the baffle cleaned up and open.Attempts to quiet it down may do that,but may end up stifling performance. I've also seen people that cut baffles thinking the same thing on performance only to find that it made them louder and performance was compromised because they do need some sort of back pressure.

Quick Reply: YFM100 Champ Exhaust Packing