Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sputters during throttle unless I choke it

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputters during throttle unless I choke it

Fellas,

I am sure this is something stupid as I am not a mechanic and am just learning about carbs. My Yamaha Big Bear has sat for 2 years as it was leaking gas out of the carb and I didn't know why. I decided to try and tackle the issue myself and ordered a carb rebuild kit.

The kit didn't come with directions so I just watched some videos and went to town. I put it back together and it no longer leaked and it fired right up! It idles beautifully and I can ride it long as I barely press the throttle.

When I press the throttle a good bit it just spudders and loses power. I let go and it goes right back to idle. It never shuts off when it spudders/pops. As I was slowly riding it around the yard I noticed that if I up the choke while getting on it, it seemed to not spudder until I let off the gas. Then it would shut off until I took the choke off.

My neighbor thought something was getting sucked into the main jet so I pulled the carb apart a second time and cleaned it all again to make sure and have the exact issue.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Stupid question but do you have the air box and filter on? If not this can cause problems like this. Plus on some cheaper kits jets may not be the same. I'd check them against the old ones,plus make sure all orifices are blown out. Still sounds like it's running lean if it runs better with the choke on.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply! I do have the airbox and filter on. Unfortunately I threw out all the old parts like a dumb dumb so I have nothing to compare the jets too.

The kit I bought was the Freedom Country kit at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could changing the c-clip on the needle do anything? I currently have it in the middle and believe that is where it was before.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Since the clip is in the middle I wouldn't change it. Having to use the choke still sounds like jets stopped up or wrong size. Recheck your work,plus you can check here on your year model to see what size jets came stock so you can compare.Yamaha ATV OEM Parts, Cycle Parts Warehouse