Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Confusion about pickup coil / source coil / pulser / pulsar

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confusion about pickup coil / source coil / pulser / pulsar

1999 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4. There are 2 coils in the stator area. They look like the same part. Are they the same? If they're the same, why are there different resistance specs for testing each?

What's the difference between the terms pickup coil, source coil and pulser / pulsar? And which one in my stator area is which? The workshop manual calls one of them a "rotation direction detection coil". People have all kinds of names for these coils. I'd just like to know which serves what purpose.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I always called the small coil inside the stator an exciter coil.The coils on the outside of the flywheel were the pulse or pulser coil as some called them or the pick up coil as others called them. They basically did the same thing.As the flywheel raised step past the coil,power was sent to the cdi.Exciter coil generated the spark internally and sent to the cdi.Here's a better explanation on the small outer coils.http://racetechelectric.com/ft-752-p...n-systems.html

Old 01-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Wild that you have two pick ups.. When someone says exciter coil to me I think of the old ignitions and internal coil.Item #4 on the break down. 1988 Polaris TRAIL BOSS 2X4 (W887527) Magneto Assembly | Cycle Parts Warehouse

Attached Thumbnails Confusion about pickup coil / source coil / pulser / pulsar-index.png  
Old 01-14-2017, 06:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mine actually has 2 separate ones almost 180 degrees from each other. Here's a picture of the coils. They look identical. I'm thinking they have to be the same part number, but the workshop manual says they're supposed to have different resistance. Unless I'm mistaking one of them for another coil. it says "pickup coil resistance" 456~561 Ohms, "charging rotor/rotation direction detection coil resistance" .104~.127 Ohms.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Again that's pretty wild to have two. I've seen a lot over the years on different machines but not a set up like this. I wonder if the Wolverine is the only one to have dual pick ups or does Yamaha have other models like this. Learn something new every day..

Old 01-14-2017, 07:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Throttle issue: dies unless very gradually increased

The problem I'm having is this: Long story, but someone may need the details... After sitting 2 months, it idles fine, but dies unless I VERY gradually increase throttle. If I do this, I can take the RPMs as high as i want. But I can only do this with no load. In gear, it's almost impossible to get any throttle strategy to get it moving. I cleaned the carb 3 times, same issue. I bought a new carb (aftermarket). Same issue. After that, I figured it had to be an electrical issue. I replaced the spark plug. No change. I bypassed the parking brake switch because I know it's a common problem. Same issue. I measured the ignition coil's primary and secondary coil resistance. They were slightly out of spec. Installed a new ignition coil. Same issue. Tried resistance testing these mysterious pickup coils, but my wires weren't same color as the manual. Got lazy and bought a used CDI. Installed it and same issue exists. I've already thrown so many parts at it, what's a couple of coils, right? But I can't even find out what coils I need to buy because they're called so many things. Damn service manual has no diagram to indicate which is which.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Wait, I reread one of your responses. "Exciter coil generated the spark internally and sent to the cdi..." Is the exciter coil the fatter looking winding in the stator? I mean, you have the 15 smaller windings, then the 1 fat one. If that fat one is responsible for spark, independent of the stator making power to charge the battery, maybe I need to replace the stator as well. I just figured if the stator is putting out good voltage, it's not a stator issue.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

"charging rotor/rotation direction detection coil resistance" .104~.127 Ohms. This might be the specs for the main charge coil that the pick up coils surround?. Sounds like you've replaced everything besides the stator. Unless you have some sort of other limiter module that could be causing this,then the stator may be the problem.Again this is the first one I've encountered like this. Aftermarket Chinese carbs can be hit or miss.If the oem carb is decent you might try rebuilding it first to see if that's the problem before you throw money at a stator.http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-2005-Ya...NShTbE&vxp=mtr

Old 01-14-2017, 07:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Is the main charge coil that fat winding on the stator? Sorry, just want to learn what this all does. I think I'm just going to replace the stator as well as those pickups. When you buy a stator, it comes with one of the pickups attached in the the harness. But the other pickup is what I'm having issues with. I'm wondering if that other pickup is the same as the one that comes with the stator. When I look it up on ebay, they call it all those names, pickup coil, pulser coil, pulsar coil, source coil... that's what confuses me. Will I be getting the right one? I'm just going to get it. I'll let you knwo how it goes.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

I did rebuild the OEM carb, 3x. After the aftermarket carb made no improvement, I put my OEM carb back in. I'm talkin' it acted the exact same way no matter which carb. Sorry, didn't rebuid. I took it apart and cleaned it 3x. Ho hum. I'll buy the rebuild kit as well. I'll post the results once I get this fixed. Thanks for your help. But if you could educate me a bit on what the "exciter" and "main charge coil" are, I'd appreciate it.