Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bear tracker loosing power on hill

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bear tracker loosing power on hill

I have a 02 bear tracker and it idles fine and runs pretty strong on flat ground but it looses power on hills and bogs down in mud. I was thinking it is either the float on the carburetor or the fuel filter. I adjusted the fuel air mixture to give it more fuel and it really did nothing. Need help with this problem I have been working on it for the past three weeks everyday

Old 02-28-2017, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Really need more info...original size tires? Have you done a compression check? Are you running premium fuel as called for? What gear are you in when it bogs down? My wife had one for many years and never had an issue even when we were in Hatfield McCoy climbing hills, but gear selection is critical!

Old 02-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes I have the original tires. And I can be in first gear on a hill and it will start off strong then bog down and just barely creep to the top it won't spin tires at all

Old 02-28-2017, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

You need to take a serious look at the engine then as you should have enough power in first gear, heck my wifes machine used 2nd gear for the toughest hill she would climb and it went up without issue. First question is how big is the rider? On a small machine like the Bear tracker a 300 lb rider will be a problem. Second is compression of engine and that will tell you the health of the engine. Be sure front wheel bearings turn smooth as well as rear diff. They need to spin freely without drag. Carb might be clogged, a thorough rebuild may be in order, a take apart and quick clean is no good, a complete rebuild with the proper kit and a thorough cleaning might be needed. Until I see more info that is what I see.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have had the carb rebuilt about a year ago and is running fine. I weigh about 130 pounds so I don't see that being a problem. I've had it for about 4 years and thus problem just occurred about a month ago it used to be fine and I could make it up the same hills in 2nd or 3rd gear without a problem and spinning tires going up it. Now it will slow way down and keep rpms up but goes slow. It seems to have speed but no power it doesn't have much push behind that speed and that is my problem

Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am thinking my problem could possibly be the fuel filter or the float in the carb

Old 03-01-2017, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

Again, a quick clean is no good for a carb. A complete rebuild with the proper kit is what is needed. You can keep cleaning it repeatedly or do it right with a complete rebuild. Next is compression, have you done a comp check to see the health of the motor? Something else to look at is the rubber boot that connects the carb to the engine, if there is any tear or leak that sucks air, you can loose power.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:19 PM
Trailblazer

I have a beartracker and it was doing the exact same thing last spring. The intake boot had a slight crack and the valves needed to be adjusted. The valves would tight up when it got warm and it would lose a ton of power.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

You know what the boot that connects the carb to the motor is rough that could be the problem

Old 03-02-2017, 03:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

"Now it will slow way down and keep rpms up but goes slow"

If the revs are still high but the speed goes down, the transmission is slipping. One of the clutches?

Quick Reply: Bear tracker loosing power on hill