Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

4x4 to 2x4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 to 2x4 conversion

yes you heard that right lol, i got a 1998 big bear 4x4 that i rebuilt and turns out guy some guy sold it with a unorginal frame (i think), all the engine mounts hook up except a bottom one but the front drive shaft is about half inch too short and some splines are showing(it still hooks up and stays in place but will strip quickly if I ride it like that).

So i was thinking of just taking out the front diff and axles, the shaft goes to a sub trans that powers the rear end and front end together, i just need to find a way to remove the u joint so it wouldnt ding around and hit stuff when driving.

thoughts? or does it sound like i got the right idea

Old 03-01-2017, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer

Anyway you can find a longer axle? Or have a machine shop make you one? I'd keep the 4wd..

Old 03-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Ajax
Anyway you can find a longer axle? Or have a machine shop make you one? I'd keep the 4wd..
ive already dropped so much money into it, im not spending another dollar

maybe i could drill the diff mount holes closer to the engine but theyre already close to the edge about 3/8th of a inch away

Old 03-02-2017, 03:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

You take out the UJ spiders and leave the front half yoke in the diff and the back half yoke in the transfer box. This is a very common mod on old Big Bears (and Kawasaki KLFs) where a new shaft would cost more than the bike is worth.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by merryman
You take out the UJ spiders and leave the front half yoke in the diff and the back half yoke in the transfer box. This is a very common mod on old Big Bears (and Kawasaki KLFs) where a new shaft would cost more than the bike is worth.
Wouldn't it just make more sense to take out the whole front diff and sell it? I don't really need to keep it in there if I unhook the 4x4 shaft

Old 03-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by merryman
Brain farts oops yeah I need to use the axles out of the diff to get the wheels on(to sit on the splined end) DUH lol.