Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 660 Axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly 660 Axle

how many people have had problems with the axle coming out of the transfer case (the silver thing or whatever it is called). I have a 2005 Grizzly 660. I just put on the Mudlite XTR's and only put on about 50 miles on them. 1600 miles on the machine.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Grizzly 660 Axle

i have only seen one other post about this happening to an '05 Grizz

i even have a 2" lift kit on mine which increases the angle and stress on the axles,and havnt had any problems

in fact im pretty hard on my bike,and the only issues ive had with it were self induced,,,,,,,i bought my '05 in May of '04

Old 11-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Grizzly 660 Axle

grizzlys have axles that sucks i thought it was independent i know this is off topic but dont that mean yamaha is behind in the utility department

Old 11-29-2005, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Grizzly 660 Axle

'01,'02'03 grizzlys had axle issues

every Polaris Sportsman,no matter what year,or size have axle issues from new to old,,,,my buddy bought a 700 sportsman,and 3 months after he got it home the axle started clicking

anouther buddy took his in to have both of his changed,one lasted a month,and he was back where he started,,,no lie

every single sportsman owner here has had the same complaints

so the Grizz has had 3 years of issues,but Polaris has had issues with the sportsman axles since the sportsman's conception

Old 11-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default Grizzly 660 Axle

i noticed that a few days ago that my front left axle has slid out of the diff housing. not to the point that i can't drive it, but it slung out a bunch of grease. i can push it in, then if i try to pull it out i cant. but when i drive it, it pops out again. what a pain[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Grizzly 660 Axle

Same problem here on my 04 (26" Mudlite XTR's as well), rear axles coming out of the final drive. Tried replacing the cir-clip, did'nt solve the problem. Did you get this resolved on your machine?

Old 03-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Grizzly 660 Axle

jimmy
i replied to you on another forum but never heard back from you, you are from pa right?
i had my left axle end and new numbered clip replaced for free, out of warranty, no problems yet.
my right side then started doing it, took it back they paid for parts and i paid $55.00 labor, both times they replaced axle end and new clip, are you sure they put the new style clip in for you?

Old 03-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Range Rover
Default Grizzly 660 Axle

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Hi guys, I have read this alot in other forums. Others have fixed the
problem of the rear axle coming out with a new circ clip, different from the
original one that is installed. If you need the part ## I recommend you look
into the Grizzlyowners.com forums.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Grizzly 660 Axle

Thx for the reply misgun, I'm from Ontario, but I recall someone else from pa with the same issue, discussing this somewhere else.

Anyways, I took mine into the dealer and they installed O-rings under new cir-clips, and the axles have never come out again. The O-rings keep the cir-clip spread out, pretty inexpensive if you do it yourself, just be sure to flush out your differential with diesel fuel or something, to clean out any possible metal fragments that result when the splines on the end of the axle get chewed up when they pop out while driving. Once your sure it's clean, reinsert the axles with O-rings, and new cir-clips installed, (you really have to drive them in), add new gear oil, and with any luck, that should fix the issue.
Good Luck

Old 12-12-2016, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

hi i am new to this site was wondering if any one could please tell me how to replace the inner rear cv axle on a 2005 grizzly 660. and if a diagram or pictures of the process would also be greatly appricated. please help......

Quick Reply: Grizzly 660 Axle