Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha wolverine 350 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha wolverine 350 4x4

I did something stupid and hooked my battery up backwards after recharging it . it still started after hooking it up the correct way but backfired and didn't rev up at all. Where should I start to trouble shoot the problem I created ? the cdi box ? any other things ? any help is appreciated

Old 05-18-2017, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer

Check the fuse (which if starts im sure is fine).. from there while running id check the voltage at the battery and verify the reg/rect isnt fried.

good luck!

Old 05-19-2017, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First thing first is I would go and have that battery load tested to know it isn't just the battery that is bad. What was the reason behind removing the battery and charging it? After you charged it, it may have had enough available amps to start but then is questionable about keeping it running. Know without an doubt that your battery is good. Just because it charges is no indication it is good. Rule out the easy stuff first and get the battery load tested.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Ajax
Check the fuse (which if starts im sure is fine).. from there while running id check the voltage at the battery and verify the reg/rect isnt fried.

good luck!
ok thank

Old 05-20-2017, 08:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by RedRocket204
First thing first is I would go and have that battery load tested to know it isn't just the battery that is bad. What was the reason behind removing the battery and charging it? After you charged it, it may have had enough available amps to start but then is questionable about keeping it running. Know without an doubt that your battery is good. Just because it charges is no indication it is good. Rule out the easy stuff first and get the battery load tested.

ok I will try that !
Would that also make it run like the timing is off? Back fire and no power ?

Old 05-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Possibly, but simple things first. Until you check that battery and confirm it is good, you could be endlessly chasing an issue.

Clean all battery/quad + and -, including cleaning the chassis ground. A well running charging system is the first step for running that motor. The stator is there to create amps, rectifier to condition the charge which then charges the battery. The battery is there to run the bike.

Once you get the quad running, you may want to look into have the valves checked/adjusted as that could be contributing to what you mention in previous post.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Wally g
ok thank
so what it was is I was adjusting the parking brake at the same time I did the battery backwards thing . And that's what it was the brake was stuck and it wouldn't rev up .
It's all fixed now thank you all for your ideas on what to look for. These sights are a blessing for people that like to do things themselves but need to
be steered in the right direction!!!

Old 05-22-2017, 06:25 AM
Trailblazer

Well done! My reverse switch/cut out was acting up so i disconnected it. It's there to keep us from burning up the brakes.

Glad to see another guy keeping the old Wolvies going!