Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

NO Spark after bottom end swap. Tricky setup, plzzzz help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO Spark after bottom end swap. Tricky setup, plzzzz help!!

Ok folks, here is what I have. I have a 06 Raptor 350 SE. The bottom end was cracked and had a couple of holes so we replaced the bottom end from a 96 Warrior 350. We used the top end from the Raptor, used a brand new Flywheel for a 06 Raptor, used the stator from the raptor, replaced the clutch assembly with a Warrior one because it was bad and put it all together and it is timed. Well when we went to start it, it would not turn the motor over, the starter just whined. Pulled the Flywheel off, put a new starter clutch gear in, got the flywheel in correctly and now it turns like it should but we are getting no spark.

We have tried unplugging the Rectifier/Regulator and still no Spark. We did try the stator from the 96 Warrior but had to cut the plug with the 4 wires because it wouldn't fit and it will turn once and give us spark 1 time and then nothing. So we are kinda stuck.

Should we be using a flywheel from a 06 Raptor with the Warrior bottom end?
If so, could it be that the Stator is bad and we need a Stator from a 06 Raptor?

I know the Warriors had 3 or 4 Gens and the Stator plug changed. We are using a Raptor flywheel, stator and everything electronic wise is my 06 Raptor. The only thing we changed on the bottom end was the flywheel and stator.

Thoughts? Suggestions before I buy every piece of the spark system, lol. Thank you in advance!!

Old 07-16-2017, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Check the resistance of the pickup and source coil, also the resistance of the ignition coil. The ignition coil should be about 18k not sure on the other 2 but my big bear 400 is suppose to be about 500 ohms for the pickup and about .1 to .6 for the source.

along with that check the wires and switches, you can do this all at the cdi plugs you just need a wiring schematic to do so.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Have you set up the neutral indicator system? Not certain for your model, but some Yams have a set up where a wire from the neutral indicator to CDI gives a better spark when in neutral.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Fixed?

Old 08-01-2017, 10:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

No. Put a new stator on and it gave us 1 good blue spark and then no more.Turn the key off and back on, 1 good spark and then no more. White round plug when ohmed was 0 on all 3 white wires. New stator bad? That's what he are leaning towards.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Stator ohms should read about 0.70 to 0.86 from pin 1 to 2 then 1 to 3. Not very much at all and a milli-ohm meter would be best for this but their not really common.

That doesn't sound like your problem anyway. The stator is just going to send AC volts to the rectifier and then the rectifier converts and smooths a DC voltage of about 14v to charge your battery.

One spark then nothing could be a bad ignition coil because it can't build up enough voltage between the cycles (sparks) produced by the cdi via the orange wire to the ignition coil.
-Most common

Or your cdi is faulty in the way the it can only produce the first cycle and flatlines after. In order to test this one would need an oscilloscope to look at the cycle produced.
-Less common but it happens. Usually a faulty cdi is just no spark at all.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

I put a new cdi on with the new stator and we tried a ignition coil from a known good bike. With both stator is got 1 spark, only difference was the new one produced a nice bright blue spark.

The only time it even remotely sounded like it was hitting, we sprayed a little starting fluid in the air box and while it was turning over it tried once to kick and then the battery started to die.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Am I correct that the flywheel on a 06 has a long metal strip on it that crosses over the pickup and not a short piece?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

From what I could see is tthe warrior and raptor are very similar if not the same. about a 5in raised section.