Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha yfm 200 carb problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha yfm 200 carb problem

Hi
I am working on restoration another oldie- Yamaha moto 4 200 1987 for my daughter. Bike was used around the farm and I got it from the guy for cheep $150. I took the bike apart and cleaned al of the parts really good and repainted most of it.
I am almost ready to start putting the plastics on but came across the carb issue. Carb is rebuild with new stuff but is not staying running. Do you know how many turns out on the fuel screw? This is 52H carb I think. Is it 1 and half turns out or 2. I can start the bike by pulling the rope but must use a lot of gas. When I get of the gas, machine dies. Not enough gas?

Old 10-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi
Back to Yamaha Moto 4 200. I took another carb apart and soaked in carb cleaner for few days. Just finished cleaning it up. While working on it, my choke or enrichment circuit plunger was stuck when I put it in after cleaning. I ended up cleaning in up a bit more to make sure plunger was moving some what free in the shaft.
I took the old carb out and found that my choke cable was separated in the middle connection section. Maybe all that time I was just having choke issues?
I put the cable back together and going to first - use the same carb and see if I can get it started. Second - if no difference - try the freshly just cleaned carb.

Stand by for results.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tried both scenarios and still having issues with staying to run. I raised the needle on the throttle to second slot from the bottom and my motor stayed running for about 20-30 seconds. As soon as I gave a gas with throttle, machine stalled.
Anyone else is having the same issue? Are both of my carbs gone to far to tune it back to running?
Maybe the only option is to replace with aftermarket one.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

Make sure your air fuel mixture screw is set to bench settings also check the flow of gas threw your bowl by opening the drain screw and seeing if there is continuous flow If it ran for 30 seconds your float might be adjusted too low and not allowing enough gas in. As for when you cleaned the carb did you use a wire from a brush to help clean the jets? is your carb assembled right? there is a oring and a little washer and spring on your air fuel mixture screw if you did a rebuild kit allot of times that oring gets stuck in the hole and you might have 2 in there if you didn't fish it out