Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2001 big bear 400. Upstate hunting and died need advise asap

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 big bear 400. Upstate hunting and died need advise asap

Hello everyone! I just replaced the carb on big bear 400. Due to starting for 5 sec and dying. Started like a champ ran it no problems. Loaded to go to cab I to hunt. Today I used to retrieve deer stated no problems ran it about 400 yds started to back fire and died. Now it is acting like it was before carb replaced. Tries to start within 2 sec dies. Please help only have 4 more days with my dad and he is disabled and can't walk distances

Old 10-15-2017, 01:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Is it getting a good spark?

Old 10-15-2017, 02:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Your original carb probably blocked due to dirt or water getting into the jets. So you put a new carb on and the dirt or water from the tank will have blocked that one too. Like wolfpackflt wrote, check for a spark first, but my guess would be your carb and tank needs a clean.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:02 AM
Trailblazer
Default Filter

Dont forget,a see thru inline filter is must,not the metat can type. Yamahas seem to be a lot more sensitive to water or dirt. I do a lot of creek riding and we swamp them occasionally. My friends hondas are always easier to get fired back up and running smooth.my wolverine is grouchy as my ole lady until it gets all crud and moisture out. If I don't want to miss riding time I get it running with carb cleaner in air box then take inlet line off that goes to carb at tank end,while it's running on the carb cleaner drizzle heet or alcohol into fuel line. It seems to chase the moisture out of carb, keep it running while doing it. Seems brutally simple but it has worked many times. Oh ya,and clean pesky tank