Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Cheap ebay parts what's your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap ebay parts what's your opinion

Ok looking at buying a new carb new cdi and stator goona run around $200 in off name brand parts oem parts are $800 anyone have any experience with the cheaper off name brand parts

Old 12-01-2017, 06:34 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's hit or miss, some times you get what you pay for. Sometimes you get lucky, get good parts and save some cash.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

In my many years of experience it has become a proven fact that you get what you pay for!! It will cost you more in the long run...do you really enjoy working on your machine all the time or would you rather ride and play? What kind of a gamble are you willing to take? Over the years I have learned to spend the money and fix it right the first time, now if your just going to fix it and sell it then that is another story, but if you plan on keeping it then spend the money and fix it correctly with the correct parts. If you just want to unload something after you get it running then take the gamble.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I work for a non franchised dealer/workshop and we have always used non genuine parts where we can, that is one reason we are cheaper than the dealerships. Lately our supplier has gone onto selling a lot of Chinese electrical parts, and frankly it isn't lasting as long as the stuff they used to sell, though it is lower in price. Then again genuine stuff isn't as good as it was. I recently had a Honda 420 with a seized genuine Mitsuba starter, took it apart and the magnets had dropped off, jamming against the armature, checked and I have four other 420 starters with the same fault. Old Hondas (Mitsuba) starters had a tin shroud, so magnets couldn't drop onto the armature.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well got a cheap ebay carb for $36 from zoom zoom parts and couldnt be happier everything hooked up just like the OEM carb with no adjusting at all hope the old carb was the problem if not thats one more checked off the list as could have been the problem

Old 12-09-2017, 07:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

If it is a CDI or stator problem you won't have a spark. That is the first thing to check, before buying any parts.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've bought several parts off Amazon over the last few years and they work just like the oem. I'm not sure I would buy a cheap carb or something like that but you can save a lot of money on stuff like starters, batteries, ignition coil wires, etc. The $50 starter I just bought a few months ago for my Brute Force looks exactly like the oem part and works just the same. I had to recently get the carbs rebuilt by a local mechanic as it wouldn't start. Starts and runs great now. If I had taken it to the local Kawasaki dealer, I'm sure they would have just put new carbs on it, which would have cost over $1000 for the carbs alone, plus labor, probably another $400 or so. I still had to pay $370, most of which labor and it starts and runs great now. He also adjusted the valves, which I'm sure was another reason it was hard to start as well.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Country Rider

It really depends. Some parts can be surprisingly good for off brand parts. But if you want to be safe of course go with the name brand. Your choice

Old 12-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Oem carbs unless they're completely trashed out or broken can usually be brought back to life with a good carb kit in many cases. Kits cost about the same or less than some Chinese after market carbs. Can't beat a good oem Mikuni or Keihin versus some of these that are hit or miss.Same for the electronics.In between oem and the cheap electrical parts are places such as Ricks or Ricky Stators.Stators,regulators,etc are usually cheaper than oem prices,more than the Chinese stuff,but quality is right up there.