Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bleed brakes

Old 12-04-2017, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleed brakes

Hello, I;m wondering if my 1996 yam big bear 350 is possible to be bled in the front. I see a bleeder nut on the back wheel, but I don't see anything like that on the front. I installed 1 set of new brake shoes on front right only the other day, but the brake lever goes right down to grip before anything happens.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Long time since I did a Big Bear but, rear brakes are cable on a 96 so no bleeders at the back. 4WD fronts have bleeders sticking through the backplates, they will be bad to see, but did you adjust the four front adjusters up? One at a time, until they lock the wheel, then back off until the wheel just turns "without binding"?

Old 12-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Trailblazer

Adjusters were seized when I tried to turn them when wheel was off. I'm just trying to get a fast fix cause I don't plan on riding it a lot until spring. I don't know if I'll go through all that again ( taking wheel off,adjusters out etc). Back cables are seized, so I'm just trying to get something, anything in front. Right now I can't even get those 2 screws off on top the master cylinder to see how much fluid left.. (delicate metal). I'm thinking, the only thing I could try now is a battery operatd screwdrver, to try to get those screws out. I'll still try to bleed them and see what happens.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

No point in bleeding brakes without adjusting them first. Can't weigh up how you got the drum back on without backing the adjusters off if you fitted new shoes. Always free the adjusters off when you have the drums off, saves time later. While you have the shoes off you can take the adjusters out, free them in a vice, heat 'em, whatever. On Hondas, which have the same adjusters, I need to free those adjusters on almost every one I service.

I recon a cordless screwdriver is guaranteed to round the slots in those master cylinder countersunk screws. I use a screwdriver bit on a 1/4" drive tommy bar, if that doesn't work, drill the heads off, leaving a little bit sticking up when you take the cover off which can be screwed out with pliers.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:44 PM
Trailblazer

It was kind of hard to put drum back on at first by hand, but when I decided to use a bigger size ball peen hammer, it went right on. I realized just today, when I pump the right front brake lever, thing works 50% better than what it was at maybe 5% (braking power). So I'm good now. I could go up hills now, without having to come back down backwards. ' \'/