Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Also, a quick lighting/battery question

Old 12-06-2017, 01:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Also, a quick lighting/battery question

My new-to-me 1994 Timberwolf came with a dead battery, but it starts right up with a jumper pack. When I turn off the jumper, the engine keeps running, but the lights go out instantly. Do the lights work off of the battery, and the stator keeps the battery charged, or do the lights work of the AC output of the alternator, and I have problems? I just got it home tonight, and didn't get a chance to go over it yet, but I figured I'd ask a couple of ?s, and be ready for tomorrow's maintenance thrash. Thanks again in advance!

Old 12-06-2017, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The engine will make enough power to keep itself running but not sure about the lights as they are probably wired to the battery and the stator should keep a charge on the battery. However if the old battery has a shorted cell it could eat up all the current the stator puts out so nothing is left for the lights. Your best bet is to get a new battery, hook it up and with the engine running test the voltage across the battery terminals...should read a min of 12.8 volts or higher, usually 13.2 or a little above, but you do need a minimum of 12.8v. If you reading is lower you will know the stator is not keeping up.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Do as Kyco 450i mentioned on the battery. Charge it up,load test it to see if it needs to be replaced. You also have a regulator that could have failed instead of the stator. Item #5 on the parts break down.https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oem...9/electrical-1 Plus here's a free pdf manual on the 94 and 95 model. Look the charging,lighting and wiring diagram along with stator tests to eliminate it as the problem. Better than just guessing on a new costly stator.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6nCdbsQZQ247x9

Old 12-06-2017, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad to see OPT jumped in here, he can give you much better detailed explanations that anyone can...he is our ATV guru !!

Old 12-07-2017, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice, Kymco - I'm picking up a new battery today, gonna check the voltage once I get it charged up. And thanks to you too, OPT - you were a wealth of knowledge and a big help a few years back with my old Trail Boss. Great pdfs, much more detailed than my Clymer manual. Quick question - I need to measure resistance, and both books are telling me to set my meter to 1 x R. All three of my meters, from my HF freebee to an average one to a pretty nice meter - they all start at 200 ohms, and go up to at least 20k. I need between 0.45 to 0.55, will the 200 setting give me a small decimal reading like that? Thanks again!

Old 12-07-2017, 08:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Set at lowest ohm resistance range on the meter.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I installed a new battery and checked the volts at about 2,000 rpm - just barely 12, didn't fluctuate while revving and idling the engine. It's been a busy week, so I haven't had much time to play (#$% responsibilities!), but I guess I'll be checking the CDI magneto this weekend. I also got a new tube of dielectric grease, so me, a wire brush, some Deoxit and the grease are gonna go over all the connections from stem to stern. I'll keep you guys updated, thanks again for the advice.