Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New to me 250 1992 Timberwolf 2wd.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 250 1992 Timberwolf 2wd.

Hi i just recently purchased this quad fairly cheap, They thought it was a 1997 but the vin says 1992. I knew it needed a few repairs. needed the carb cleaned and it is now, but not 100% right, so if anyone could help me on the proper settings id greatly appreciate it. It also needs brake pad on all brakes and i got those ordered today along with a tune up kit and some atv speakers. I also did an oil change and found some black material in the oil hard and crumbly, I assume this is clutch material? there was also some small bits of metal on the filter. The engine runs good, no smoke or knocks just needs the carb adjusted right and maybe the valves adjusted?. Has some top end ticking? from what ive heard its typical of these yamaha 250s? The clutch works fine, I took it on a couple hr ride on mostly hills, rocks, and mud. and all those combined, it never failed to pull me and im 230 so im impressed with this engine for actually only being a 230cc. ive noticed coming out first can be stiff sometimes, but otherwise shifts well.

Id greatly appreciate any input from anyone that has or has had one of these, id also like to get a bit more torque out of it if possible, it pulled me up and threw some pretty rough stuff, even kept up with 4x4 atvs with twice the engine so im fairly pleased with it, but i would like to get it to where i can use 3rd more on hills. for the most part third was okay, but when i hit muddy or rocky hills id need to gear down to 1st or 2nd. so any advice on performance upgrades like jetting or better exhaust/filters would be great. here is a few pics of my quad after its accent to the top of windrock.

Attached Thumbnails New to me 250 1992 Timberwolf 2wd.-27067215_1745807468804884_7869937616383415010_n.jpg   New to me 250 1992 Timberwolf 2wd.-27073152_1745807592138205_7922378943919664132_n.jpg  
Old 01-23-2018, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

I just call Yamaha dealer and ask the valve lash for it and the air fuel mixture screw is probably 1.5 turns out from the seated position. Put your tune up kit in it and ride it those machines are not designed to go fast you can try a pipe but not really worth the money in my opinion you want something faster buy a faster wheeler. The metal on your filter shows that the filter is doing its job as for the black stuff coming out it can be many things maybe change oil on it again and flush it. Their tough machines

Old 01-23-2018, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well im plenty happy with its speed. Im just looking for more grunt down low. Ive read theres KN filters and bigger jets. Would i gain low end by doing those? The quad is turning 24" tires right now.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:38 AM
Pro Rider

put smaller tires on it.. jets wont do nothing other than make it run rich K&N doesn't do much if anything

Old 01-24-2018, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

These are tuff little machines if taken care of. They are designed for 22 and 23" tires so your overworking that little engine with 24". My wife owned the newer bear Tracker model for years, great little machine, just be sure to keep that oil changed and keep fresh gas in the tank. Add some fuel conditioner every so often to keep the fuel lines and carb clean. They are no made for performance so don't bother wasting your money trying. Just enjoy and when the time comes for more performance trade it in for a bigger machine.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well ya know i have wondered about these tires but really the quad hasnt really been struggling to do anything. Its super torqy Itll pop wheelies in 1st and 2nd. I also do like its ride height on the 24"s. However i do understand a 230cc engine can only be so much. And it really is surprisingly good for what it is. I have a buddy with a 400ex bored to a 440 and even he says hes impressed with its low down torque. But i know im not getting everything out of it that its got. The carb isn't quite right. Itll bog down in 3 sometimes like its not getting fuel then youll have to shift down or feather therl throttle to get it to pick back up. Then in 1st sometimes when you hit the throttle itll fall flat on its face and almost stall. So i got some tunning to do to perfect whats already there.

I did have a few more questions. I ordered brakes, but i went ahead and tore into the fronts today anfld found the pads still had plenty of material left. Everything was just coated in grime and it wasnt able to grab. Cleaned it up and adjusted the brakes but its still not getting much stopping power in the front. I noticed the pads felt very smooth? Or slick even? I cleaned them to though. Can pads on these become glazed like in cars? Also. Heres a tricky one. I noticed the later built bear trackers had front hydrolic brake discs. Mainly what i want to know is do the two atvs share the same a arms? Because ive seen a good deal on both lower a arms, spindles, discs, and hubs from a bear tracker on ebay and was wondering if the a arms would just swap right on?

And i have one more. What all is needed to add a pull start? I went to a junk yard today and pulled a pull starter off a older yamaha 200 three wheeler. I thought it may work because of the very similar engine structure, but i noticed my side cover just isnt quite the same. Now it was off a chain drive and these are shaft drive so im not sure if that causes the cases to differ that much? Id like to be able to install it and it looks just like the ones i see on timberwolfs factory.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay so i figured this was better posted here than my carb post, i got a muffler off a local guy and it looked in good shape, someone drilled holes in it at one point, but he got them welded up nicely. and after fitting it and adjusting my a/f to two turns out from seated like suggested im happy to say ive not had the quad stall on me since, but, when i put the muffler on i noticed it started smoking up a tar hill,. well it didnt smoke before with the other muffler, so i inspected and found the muffler is COATED in oil inside. the smoke coming from it heating up and being pushed out, so i tried to pull the baffle to clean it, no dice that sucker is in there, so i took a rod and taped some paper towels to it and like cleaning a gun barrel i cleaned the baffle, it came back solid oily black the first few times, but it was clearing up. so i fired the quad back up and ran it a bit, hit the road with it and opened it up through 5th full throttle. it smoked like a train. but after i got it back it began to clear up some. no longer leaving holes in the ozone it was smoking much much less. but still theres oil in there i know. so i ask how would one remove the oil? from experience i know gas will take oil right off. so maybe take the muffler off and put it in a bucket and keep poring gas through it? reusing the gas obviously. i know id need to let it set a good while to air out and such, but is there anything else that will remove the oil? dawn dish soap water? any suggestions are welcome.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you can plug the exhaust up soak it in kerosene for a couple days.Slosh it around every so often and stand it in a corner. It'll get rid of of a lot of caked on oily deposits.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I got a Suzuki 250 in that burnt more oil than fuel. Took the cylinder off and the piston skirt had broken off below the second ring. Gave it a re-bore and new piston etc, but it still smoked badly. So took it for a long run, still laying smoke when I returned, thought I had missed something on the rebuild. Anyway, let it cool and when I re-started it the smoke had gone. On a four stroke, nothing beats running an engine until the exhaust is hot enough to burn the oil off.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone got any tips for getting the stuck baffle out? I think the quad ran stronger with less restriction.

Quick Reply: New to me 250 1992 Timberwolf 2wd.