Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

99 Yamaha big bear curiosities

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 08:41 PM
Big Bear owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Yamaha big bear curiosities

So I've had a few Yamahas, bear tracker, banshee, yz 450, and now I have a big bear 350. It's the 2x4 which I really prefer vs 4x4 because it simply requires more skill to go places 4x4 guys get to cheat through. Anyhow I was wondering what on earth the connection located above the front rack on the U shaped bar is, it's a wire with a two pole connector with screws that looks like it should accept Y connectors. It has a rubber cover on it but there's no power running to it as I've tested it with the ignition on and the headlights on low and high beam settings, I figured it was for a spotlight or something but no idea. Nothing shows up on the web about it either.

Also there's a rectangle cover on the left side that has nothing under it, figured it might be for 4x4 if it was on a 4x4 model. On the right side there's a round hole with a plug cap and below it it's labeled on/off any clue what that was for? More than likely that round hole will be getting a 12v outlet for a phone charger/cigarette lighter ect

Since getting this machine I've changed the oil&filter *must do on any vehicle
Added a winch and 26" light barLed headlight conversion
ceramic coated the plasticsStripped and powder coated the racks and bumperChanged the spark plug, air filter and cleaned the carbChanged the oil in the rear differentialRecovered the seat in vinyl faux crocodile skin
new wheel bearings, tierod ends, bushings, shocks, and ball joints in the front and new shock/bushings in the rear

I'm currently waiting on new brake rotors, calipers, and master cylinder for the front and the shoes for the back to arrive and I'm toying with the idea of a full overhaul on the engine and transmission for a winter project.

Hopefully it will be like show room new very soon

Old 06-14-2022, 02:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Pictures of the odd electrical bits may help identify them, though I think they could just be accessory connectors. Big Bears were used on farms, and sprayers, GPS sensors, etc, were fitted with quick release connectors so the accessory could be removed when not in use.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:43 PM
Big Bear owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
Pictures of the odd electrical bits may help identify them, though I think they could just be accessory connectors. Big Bears were used on farms, and sprayers, GPS sensors, etc, were fitted with quick release connectors so the accessory could be removed when not in use.