Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Right rear wheel clicks..

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right rear wheel clicks..

Hello all,
My 1994 yama bigbear 4x4 (full time) does not have L/S diff or 4x4 lock out,seems to have a clicking noise at the right rear wheel at the brake asm.
I am going to pull the wheel and open the cover up after work tonite.The noise seems to be inconsistent,does not speed up or slow down with wheel
speed like a bearing or ujoint,or under power or coasting.I have to apologize for posting this in the wrong forum.
if I push it fwd or back it will click sometimes or not but when it does you can hear it coming for the brake cover and feel it on the tire...
thanks in advance for tips,help or ideas......

Old 05-02-2018, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

well I took the wheel off and found the someone tried to cut the backing plate off with a cut off wheel just behind the tabs
after removing the 3 screws and splitting the cover...i noticed the rotor is loose on the shaft but the hub is tight on the shaft.
any ideas....i think it should be tight....looking at the parts diagram cant tell what keeps it tight unless it is clamped all together.
has anybody had the rotor off before?

Old 05-03-2018, 02:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Too long since I worked on one but I have a feeling they are "floating Disc" brakes. On most Quads the disc is fixed to the axle and the caliper moves along sliders as the pads wear down, on the floating disc type, the caliper is bolted solid to the frame and the disc moves on the splines to compensate for pad wear. Honda Rincon rear brakes are floating disc and the only one I worked on also made a knocking noise from the disc, presumably due to spline wear.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks merryman,
It kinda looks that way,had the rear wheel off split the cover and everything looked tight but the rotor and per the manual it has a run out of about .005
this has more than that.....not sure if that is the noise or if it might be the wheel brg behind that.might..might have to dig deeper thanks again for the help!!!