Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Carb adjustment screw?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Timberwolf Carb adjustment screw?

I have a 98 Timberwolf 250, it's been sitting for a while but had the carb cleaned and has been starting, however it seemed to have been idling low - kept dying. Today is one of the days that we were using it and it died a couple times. Here is where a little knowledge is dangerous. I know the thumb screw can fix the idling issue, i just never knew which way to turn it or how much. In the past i always managed to get it set 'right'. Today tho i must have really messed it up, it won't start now. Is there any easy way to get it back running? I saw posts abt turning it all the way in and then backing out certain amount of turns, but I wasnt having luck. Once i get it started i will determine how to set it right.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
Dave G

Last edited by DaveG1; 06-16-2018 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 06-17-2018, 03:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The all the way in and 1.5 turns out thing is for the air/fuel mixture screw, don't touch that! The throttle stop adjuster is what I think you have been moving and this just adjusts how far the throttle closes when you take your finger off, so shouldn't stop the bike from running. My guess would be some dirt has got into the carb, slowed the running then stopped the bike altogether. Clean the float bowl and jets out with compressed air, and try again.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
The all the way in and 1.5 turns out thing is for the air/fuel mixture screw, don't touch that! The throttle stop adjuster is what I think you have been moving and this just adjusts how far the throttle closes when you take your finger off, so shouldn't stop the bike from running. My guess would be some dirt has got into the carb, slowed the running then stopped the bike altogether. Clean the float bowl and jets out with compressed air, and try again.
Thanks!! Back in business again...

Old 07-12-2018, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Jets

Originally Posted by DaveG1
Thanks!! Back in business again...
is there a setting as to the adjustable jet should be set at ?

Old 07-12-2018, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Jets

Originally Posted by Danny D Martin
is there a setting as to the adjustable jet should be set at ?
​​​​​took the 3 jets out to clean and two of them are screwed until they tighten up the other is an adjustable jet and didn't notice where the setting was ,is it like 2.5 turns from the bottom this jet has a spring .