Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 big bear 400 help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 04:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m lost merryman. All I know is that when I turn the key on I don’t get a click or anything under the seat. Press the start button and oil temperature light comes on and no start. All 3 wires at solenoid are hot. The blue/black and blue/white both go to ground when pressing the start button and that doesn’t seem right to me. But I don’t know how it works.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

The old big bears had a little breaker switch next to your right leg attatched to the frame Is there anything like that on your bike anywhere?

Old 07-26-2018, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

There is a diode there. Not sure on circuit breaker but will try to look tomorrow. It’s got me puzzled. if I had a chart of of just the starting system and how it flows would help a lot.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Still at a loss on my big bear. Will the fan motor control unit have anything to do with it?

Old 08-02-2018, 02:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

"if I had a chart of of just the starting system and how it flows would help a lot."

You could try drawing it out yourself. I did this recently with a Suzuki 400KQ. They have an equally complex starter circuit. Helped a lot to understand what wire is feeding pos or neg to where. Doubtful if any of the fan control wires meet the starter circuit, but you never know unless you trace them on the diagram or on the bike.

"The blue/black and blue/white both go to ground when pressing the start button and that doesn’t seem right to me".

If the earth is OK to the solenoid but the positive isn't, neg will feed round the system through the solenoid windings. Trace that positive wire back.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

This thing has been a headache. Thanks for all the help and reply’s. I’m gonna try to mess with it some more in the next few days. I do believe there is one wire that’s part of the fan motor control unit that is also part of the starting circuit. I don’t know why but when I plug the fan motor control unit up there is a blue/white or it’s green/white that shows 4.7 volts on it when back proving that plug. Would that mean the fan motor control unit is bad or shorted or grounded inside it?

Old 08-03-2018, 03:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Afraid I can't help with the fan wiring, but much more likely to be a problem with the wires that feed power to both ignition and starter solenoid, or the kill switch wire, which on some bikes cuts the power to the solenoid too.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Back

Ok sorry I been away for a bit but back to the big bear. So when testing the kill switch like it says the it shows continuity when I’m off position then is says slide to run position and it should be open but it’s not it still shows continuity no matter what you do till I unplug the CDI then it tests the like it should so is the CDI my problem?

Old 09-07-2018, 02:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Can't say for certain as I don't work on Yams all that much, but I wouldn't expect the kill wire in the CDI to be showing negative. May be worth asking your local Yam dealer, as CDIs are expensive.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Merryman

may have to call and ask them. The only thing that I’ve tested that didn’t test correct is the kill switch I read on another forum to test black and Black/white wire for continuity when in off position I did and it shows continuity like it should. Then when you slide it to run it should be open and show no continuity which mine still shows it while in the run position. So I unplugged the CDI just for sakes of doing it and the kill switch then tests correct. So where should I test next without unplugging CDI?

Quick Reply: 2000 big bear 400 help...