Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 450 Dies Immediately When Hitting Water

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 450 Dies Immediately When Hitting Water

Hello, I'm new to this forum thing. Hoping someone can help me troubleshoot my 2003 Kodiak 450. Just this year, whenever I hit a puddle or mud hole and come to an abrupt stop, my quad dies immediately, no sputter, just die. Have to wait a few minutes before I can turn it over again. I read on here could be a steam problem or a not fully sealed spark plug connector, but I believe I ruled this out. I ran the bike hot in the drive way and experimented every way possible with a hose to create those issues and it ran fine. Anyone have any ideas of what I could check out to find the issue?? Thanks alot.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be first tracing out the battery ground to frame connection and positive battery connections as well. Then look to see if there are any other ground/frame connections. Clean all of those and re-tighten.

I actually had the same thing happening on my Grizzly 700 and was unable to find the issue. Well the season went on and I started getting a different problem when I was traveling at speed to where my R (reverse) light would flash and simultaneously the engine would cut out. On the 700, that is a clear indication of the Reverse switch assembly (Neutral Switch Assembly) was needing to be replaced. I replaced that assembly and both problems went away. Or at least I have not experienced either problem since. I am referring to part #5 if you look up, on a OEM parts seller, for a 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450 under Electrical 1, part reference 3GB-82540-01-00.

There is only a single Neutral Switch Assembly on the 700 and it appears there are a total of 4 on yours according to the part reference. I do not claim to know without a doubt that replacing those 4 Neutral Switch Assembly on your Kodiak will resolve your issue, just stating what happened for me on a similar bike.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Guys, thanks for the suggestions, seems like it must have been a grounding issue. I do have another issue I'm hoping someone might be able to assist me with. The quad starts up fine when cold ( I mean I haven't ran it for a day), but after riding for a few hours and turning it off, it has to be turned over again and again when I want to start it up 5 mins later. Can anyone tell me what the issue might be? I really appreciate all your help. I have attempted to search for this issue on the net but didn't get anywhere.

Thanks again.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:26 AM
Pro Rider

How long since you have done a valve adjustment? When the motor heats up the valves expand and throw them out of the operating spec. it could be that or I have seen weak stators do that also.