Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster with no spark.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster with no spark.

Ive been fighting this Blaster to get spark and Im trying to narrow down why it has no spark. Ive tested and tested and can’t seem to figure it out. The stator is putting out power, Ive confirmed this with a test light (incandescent) through the low beam circuit with the headlight switch turned on. I have tested all of the circuits that I know to. No ground is present on the 'kill wire' Black/white that tells the CDI to shut down. The TORS system has been completely disconnected. I have used a very low amperage LED to find the pulse coming out of the stator case on the pick up coil wire, further down the circuit where it goes into the CDI, then the orange wire coming out of the CDI, as well as the orange wire where it meets up with the coil. Every single test came back with consistent pulsing. The coils (we have 3) test good according to Yamahas specs. 2 Brand new plugs. The plug cap has no resistance, which according to Yamaha I think that spec was 1k-2k OHMs. This cap is just a closed circuit from one side to the other. The coil has good ground, straight to frame. Frame ground is all clean as well, and bare metal. Have checked and cleaned all connections and still no spark, not even weak spark. Is it safe to assume the CDI is bad? According to the Yamaha Service manual for the ignition system, once everything else tests out, replace the CDI. I just don't like throwing parts at it if I can’t prove whats wrong so I wondered if a Blaster guru on here has and idea of something I haven’t checked.

One more thing, just out of curiosity. What does the pickup coil read? Looking in the stator, theres no notch on the inside to read off of. theres four magnets on the outside obviously with gaps in between them, and then the two holes that face out away from the case. Does it read when the 2 holes go by? I didnt think it would read the 2 holes because that would mean 2 sparks per revolution, not just one at the top of the stroke.

Anyway, thanks for any input. Been fighting this thing for weeks.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure on the Blaster but on my Banshee's the are to coils in the stator. One for spark and one for lights, so having a pulse on the low beam may be misleading.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Dazeys
Not sure on the Blaster but on my Banshee's the are to coils in the stator. One for spark and one for lights, so having a pulse on the low beam may be misleading.
Well I had the test light on the headlight circuit, since the bike has no lights, just to see if the stator was outputting voltage. The pulsing came from ground on one side of the LED, and positive to the white/red out of the pick up coil that feeds the cdi, And also the orange wire going from the cdi to the ignition coil-to the positive side of the LED

Old 08-31-2018, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Get a wiring diagram of the ignition system if you can. I can help break it down. The answer is going to be an open circuit or high resistance somewhere. Also do yourself a favor and get a digital multi meter.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Brandoncw
Get a wiring diagram of the ignition system if you can. I can help break it down. The answer is going to be an open circuit or high resistance somewhere. Also do yourself a favor and get a digital multi meter.
I have everything mentioned. I've tested resistance everywhere I can and everything checks out. I've bypassed circuits with jumper leads to make sure there's not a broken wire in the harness. The ONLY test I'm unable to perform is the inline spark test, as I don't have that tool. I'm not new to electrical, specifically 12v/automotive applications. But this one is stumping me. The fact that Yamaha doesn't have a test for the CDI box surprises me. It just says "if all other components test fine, replace CDI"

I guess we'll replace the CDI and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply and help

Old 09-01-2018, 07:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Have you taken the spark plug out, put it back in the boot and cranked the engine over with the plug touching the cylinder/cyl head to check for spark? Also, if your CDI and anything like the one i cad on my old honda xr200, make sure the cdi isnt out of time.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, there is no spark. Not even weak spark. I know it's unconventional, but I used a small T10/194 based LED to test that I was getting pulses from the pickup coil. Then going into the CDI, then coming out of the CDI, then going into the coil. Had pulses every step of the way. Good frame ground. Coil is metal to metal. Maybe the CDI is not putting out strong enough pulses for the coil to pick up, though I don't really understand how that could be.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

well, good luck. might be a bad cdi

Old 09-01-2018, 08:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Brandoncw
well, good luck. might be a bad cdi
It's my buddys quad. He may have already ordered one. Whatever we find out, I'll post the results back here in hopes to help someone else out.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

It was the CDI box. Even though I had a pulsing signal coming from it, I guess it wasn't strong enough. I sure wish Yamaha had a resistance test for the CDI to actually test it before replacing. But we got lucky this time, and throwing money at it actually worked. Thanks for the help and all the replies.

Quick Reply: Blaster with no spark.