Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha 1984 moto-4 350 Grinding/Ringing

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 12:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha 1984 moto-4 350 Grinding/Ringing

Okay, I'm Josh and to start off I got this machine about 2 years ago and it was very used and was missing a few parts like a sylnoid,key switch,speedometer, etc. And he had a smaller moto 4 I was able to get those parts off of.. I spent 2 week's working on it all day everyday I was 13 or 14 years old. I finally got it running after changing the coil and rewiring my homemade key switch... And it fired up! And I let it sit there and idle and this is the first time I ever heard it run so I didn't notice anything weird... So I'm strapping my helmet on and it starts to idle really low and when it did the grinding and ringing stopped and I knew it was an issue but I was eager to ride. I rode for about an hour and I was in 3rd gear going about 35 and it locked up. I managed to get it down to 1st gear and it drove home in 1st but If I shifted up it locked it up. All the way down was neutral and it wouldn't go. So to fire it up I had to hold the shifter down and let off to go but if I held it down and went in reverse it had no problem. I took it to a lawn mower shop(I know stupid but I was only 14 couldn't afford a nice shop) and he guessed could have been my rigedup starter. I took a jet ski starter and combined the parts and he assumes this is the source of the grinding due to the metal shaving under the gear connection to the starter to flywheel. And he also assumes the metalshavings got somewhere and messed something up. So I just ordered a New starter and sealkit and other things and when it comes in I'll give an update but so far, what do y'all think tore up? Althings come in within 10 days so please anything will help