660 grizzly wont start - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

660 grizzly wont start

Old 11-24-2018, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default 660 grizzly wont start

I have a 2003 660 grizzly that wont start. It will turn over till it hits the compression stroke then stops. I've checked the decompression pin and weights and all are working. Valves are set to spec and checked the starter brushes all look new. I've even tried boosting it with a car battery and still same problem. I was able to remove the pull start and use a wrench on the crank and turn it over off the compression stroke and then the electric start would start it until the other day when it got cold and even that wouldn't work. Anyone have any ideas? I don't know where to go from here with it

Old 11-25-2018, 04:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Get the battery checked out first, then check the thick wires from the battery to solenoid to starter motor, and the ones to earth, for bad connections. Yam earths seem to go bad without it looking like they are, so remove and clean the terminals and the frame etc, round them. It may be a faulty starter motor. They usually just stop working, but an internal short may have made it "lazy".

Old 11-25-2018, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default 660 grizzly grizzly low gear

I think the starting issue is the battery. On a different topic tho I noticed today that when I put it in low it just pops back into high. I tried disconnecting the shift linkage from the motor and using pliers to manually try shifting from high to low and it doesnt even click like shifting between the other gears. Soon as I click it ahead to low it pops right back. Will only stay in low if I hold it there. Low gear does work fine so long as you hold it there.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

So I tried a new battery same problem. So I bought a new starter, still same problem. Cleaned up all connections and still same problem. Soon as it hits compression stroke it cant get past. I'm getting near the point of junking this thing.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Seems like you have tried everything. I guess the ignition timing may be slightly out, either a partly sheared key on the flywheel, or a CDI timing fault, but I have never known that to happen. I have known Chinese kids quads to slip the starter clutch, just as it gets to TDC, then go over, so it sounds just like a lazy starter, but it seems your starter stops dead before TDC?

Old 12-09-2018, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Just wanted to let anyone know turns out it was the battery. The new one I bought was bad,exchanged it for a new one and bike fires right up no problem. Thanks for the help

Old 12-10-2018, 04:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Glad you found it. Dud new parts are a pain, as you assume the fault must be something else and spend hours, and in your case, the cost of a new starter, only to find it was what you thought was wrong in the first place.