ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Storing a atv for winter (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/377715-storing-atv-winter.html)

yarb 12-19-2018 04:26 PM

Storing a atv for winter

How do most of you store your 4 wheeler when it is not going to be used for several months? Do you drain the fuel tank and carb? I left fuel in mine for several months and the gasoline went bad and really messed up the fuel system. I had put fuel stabilizer in it but it didn't help.

MrSummit 12-19-2018 06:07 PM

If oil life is near 50% I change it.

Make sure the fuel it does have is fresh and I add Sta-bil. Run the engine plenty long enough to get stabilized fuel thru entire system. If you have carbs, this means running long enough to make sure the bowls have enough time to be completely replenished with stabilized fuel.

I have a battery tender but only hook it up once a month or so.

Been doing this for 40 years on a variety of things like atv, dirt bike, snowmobile, street bike, jet ski, lawn mower, snow blower, weed eater, etc. Had to clean the snowmobile carbs once back in the 90’s but I think I forgot to stabilize the fuel.

I store everything in an unheated garage.
Try to use premium fuel, non-ethanol.
I have not drained a carb for storage for years.

Kymco 450i 12-19-2018 07:36 PM

You need to be sure the fuel is fresh when the Stabil is added, you cannot add to much Stabil, a little more is better than a little less. And as mentioned it needs to run a long time to be sure it is distributed thru out the fuel system. I typically add fuel treatment long before winter, last couple tanks of fuel before winter just to be sure. Adding stabilizer to old fuel is useless so be sure it is fresh. I am curiuos as to why you put it away for the winter, that is some of the best times to ride! I get as much use in winter as I do in summer for my machine, just gotta dress for the cold.............

yarb 12-19-2018 10:38 PM

I have been using stabil and ethanol free gas. Not sure what happened but it sure messed up my fuel system. The screens on my fuel shut off valve and float on the fuel gauge were dissolved.
At 78 years young I have had my fill of riding in cold and nasty weather. I'll park it till spring and will ride it in good weather. I really do not need the thing. It was just a challenge to get it running after Katrina nearly destroyed it. Engine was full of salt water and sand. FEMA wanted to haul it off as junk but hard headed as I am I said no I'll get it running again which I did. They laughed which made the challenge even bigger. lol
How do you post pictures on a reply? I have pictures of what the inside of the engine looked like when I opened it up.
Thanks for the reply, yarb

Kymco 450i 12-20-2018 11:35 AM

Probably the after effects of the salt water. People that live anywhere near salt water have all kinds of issues that we who live much further away never experience. Some ins companies refuse to even try repairing salt water vehicles as they will never be right again. You took on a tough job trying to get a salt water vehicle up and running, my hat is off to you! At your age I fully understand your not wanting to go out in the cold, I am not a big fan myself but try to make it fun and no one else is going to plow my snow. When mixed with certain things salt water becomes acid. ..Good luck!