Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1997 Big Bear 350 4x4 cv joints

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Big Bear 350 4x4 cv joints

Hope everyone is ready to have an awesome Christmas!

I have a question about my Big Bear. I have been looking at complete half-shafts for replacement. I have found that there seems to be two different kinds...one for 68LAC and others for 68AC. Some list this...others do not mention it.

Can anyone shed light on this? Is it for a different type of diff? different length half-shafts or different spline counts?

Is this even an issue?

Thanks all!
D

Old 01-19-2019, 07:49 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I guess I'll give an update.

replaced both front cv axles. the inboard joints are stamped 68LAC and not the diff. hopefully this will now be in searches for others that are looking for the info since I am putting it here.

since I had everything torn down, I checked and replaced one of the u-joints, drained and filled front diff lube, replaced a lower ball joint (by replacing the whole bloody lower control arm since they are welded in) checked and adjusted the front brake shoes, blasted and repainted my oxlite cv guards, cleaned up the carb float bowl, needle and seat, and adjusted the intake and exhaust valve lash (this I do believe was never done since the lash was almost double the max allowed). The intake was easy to get to but the exhaust was a bit of a pain due to the location (front of the engine and partially blocked by a frame brace).

It feels pretty good now. Runs a bit smoother and idles better to be sure. For a 1997, at least now, I think has alot more life left in it.