ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Grizzly 550 purchase advice (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/377795-grizzly-550-purchase-advice.html)

Frogworlduk 01-01-2019 01:23 PM

Grizzly 550 purchase advice

Right, looking at buying our first quad ridden and used loads but never owned. I've found a 2010 grizzly 550 only down sides are stated as just had a service with engine rebuild. And that the hours nearly matches the mileage. Is that something I should worry about?

I.e the hours are 2070 and the mileage is 3200.

Any advice/ avoid?

Kymco 450i 01-01-2019 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Frogworlduk (Post 3410151)
Right, looking at buying our first quad ridden and used loads but never owned. I've found a 2010 grizzly 550 only down sides are stated as just had a service with engine rebuild. And that the hours nearly matches the mileage. Is that something I should worry about?

I.e the hours are 2070 and the mileage is 3200.

Any advice/ avoid?

Lots of hours and few miles for the number of hours in my opinion. Why the rebuild? Was it done professionally, did the person really know what they were doing? Rebuilds can be a good or a bad thing depending on why and how it was done. If poor maintenance then what else is wrong with it, was it an unexpected damage like scored cylinder or broken valve or bad bearing? Was it rebuilt by factory or dealer or just a backyard mechanic? Are there receipts for all the work and who did it? Lots of questions to be answered. In my area there are many quads to choose from so I might consider doing more shopping.

greg74 01-02-2019 11:40 AM

I'm guessing maybe they used it to plow snow, that might explain the high hours/low miles. Also might explain why the engine had to be rebuilt as it was worked hard. Could just be from abuse too. Im guessing it has had a rough life in those 3200 miles. Also guessing it probably looks pretty rough too.

2016Bighorn 01-02-2019 06:27 PM

That's a ton of hours for a machine. Any chance youre missing a decimal point. The owner of my last atv told me it has 1200hours and 1100miles. Lucky for me when I read it I saw the decimal point and it really only had 120. It also would record run time if the key was left on which my son did 4 times that I know, jumping the hours up when it really wasn't running.

It's not in the cards for everyone but I'd suggest looking around for a good deal on a new one. You can keep the price relatively low if you stay in the mid bore category and skip power steering.

I just bought a 2017 kingquad 750 with power steering for 6750 which included prep and title no tax 2 moths ago. I could have gotten new 2019 500s for 5k plus prep. And there were quite a few other from Honda and polaris I found a great prices. Atvs really dont loose much value unless you get into a lot higher end ones with options from what I've seen.

Yamaha is more expensive than Suzuki and some others but it's hard to find used machines in good condition under 3k. I happened to get lucky buying my previous one used and sold it for $400 more than I paid 5 years later. Those deals dont happen often.

there's a lot of stuff that can need replacing at that mileage even if the motor was rebuilt properly. If it's a really good deal it's worth looking at but check the high dollar replacement items and make sure they're still in good working order.

greg74 01-03-2019 09:00 AM

I was just looking through the new inventory at my local dealer. They sell Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Textron. They had some 2018 Textron Alterra 500's priced at $3999. That's quite a deal for a new atv. Granted that's before taxes and fees but its still a great price on a new unit. The Kodiak 450 and King Quad 400 were priced slightly higher but still both under $5000. They had 2018 Brute Force 750's for $6399 if you wanted more power. No eps on any of these models, basically all base models. The key point in these lower prices is that they are 2018 models. When a dealer has leftover previous model year inventory, they will usually discount it so they can make room for the new models. The 2019 models by comparison are priced at full retail price.