Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly batt soln wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 10:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly batt soln wiring help

Need help with the correct wiring for a 2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660. Unfortunately the service manual wiring diagram appear as hieroglyphics to me. I've done some searching around but I seem to have two extra black wires that I'm not to sure about (maybe the winch). I've tried several methods but my starter relay finally gave up on me being dumb. I've order a new one but would like to confirm that my last attempt was in fact right. The short black wire closest to the battery I have as the battery ground, positive battery to solenoid B and M to the black wire to the solenoid with the rubber protector cap. The two black wires, one labeled "batt soln" has a red heat shrink I put to the positive side (B) of the starter relay and the other black not labeled to the (M) side of the relay. Is this correct?

Old 02-27-2019, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

[Update] Wired with new starter relay solenoid. Pretty sure I had it wired correctly this time. Anyways melted my battery posts. My starter ignition button won't turn off so I had to disconnect the battery. It has done this before with the old relay. Think I fried my electric starter button? WTH?

Old 02-27-2019, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

My electric starter continues to run after turning off ignition. Melted the battery posts.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well the two extra back wires were the winch. Now I have bigger problems. I hooked them up to the battery and installed the new relay but my start button stays engaged even if I turn off the ignition and kill switch. Melted my battery posts.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Seems like you have a dud relay, as switching ignition off should cut everything. So contacts on solenoid must be stuck together. This can happen if the battery is a bit low, as it slows the solenoid and the contacts start arcing as they close, welding them together.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes. The only way I could get the dash to illuminate and not have the starter continuously spin even with the ignition off was to disconnect the starter from the solenoid. I tested the relay and it's bad. Wish I had tested it before installing it. Is it possible I could have a problem with my starter causing the relay to go bad?

Old 03-01-2019, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tested the starter by connecting 12 volts to the starter and grounding it. It just hums. Sounds bad and probably causing my solenoid to go bad. Not to sure what the purpose of the 30 amp fuses for the relay does since it looks like I possibly ruined another one. Feel like I'm getting close. Going to order a starter and another relay.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

The 30 amp fuse is not for the starter. One wire in the plug/socket on the solenoid is the live power feed to the ignition switch, and power from the battery positive post runs through the fuse to the plug for that live wire.