ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   91 350 Big Bear (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/378632-91-350-big-bear.html)

DoctorQuad 05-15-2019 06:42 PM

91 350 Big Bear

Why is my drive shaft going from the transfer case to the front diff got so much wiggle back and forth? The retainer clips are seated where they are suppose to be yet the drive shaft will go forwards or backwards to the point there's only 1/4 inch of spline on spline from the yoke. Is this just a shitty design? It appears everything is as it should be but this does not sit well with me one bit, I'm most likely going to die grind and slot the front diff mounting holes backwards some so it eliminates so much play, I noticed this after I replaced the U joints, the splines of either don't seem to be rounded much at all, this bike was bought from a wildlife park so it wasn't beat.

Is this just crappy design on Yamahas part? sort of like their rear disc brake that freely moves horizontally with no such retainer clip from keeping it move side to side, I suppose the pads would correct it when rolling and center it but that also doesn't sit well with me, but for now I havn't figured out a solution to that one yet, I might just leave it, I looked and looked at exploded parts diagrams and repair manuals but it seems it really does just sit there freely...

Thoughts?

DoctorQuad 05-15-2019 06:44 PM

These machines are very difficult to find information on, sadly, there is no big bear forum like there is dedicated to kodiaks, grizzlys, hondas etc

DoctorQuad 05-16-2019 06:09 AM

Anyone to chime in?

DoctorQuad 05-16-2019 06:12 AM

I can not find a ounce of information on this, yet there is no way this drive shaft play is normal, I have typed every key word and even looked on the Kodiak site(older ones) as they are similar, nothing. No matter what keywords I salad together.

merryman 05-17-2019 01:44 AM

It must be 10 years since I did the front UJs on a Big Bear, so I can't remember how much play there was, also it would have been a high mileage machine and loads of slop in the splines. Is there another circlip, on the diff pinion, that stops the front yoke from going too far forwards, remember with the circlips out of their grooves there has to be enough slide on the yokes to get the shaft out when removing the UJs,

DoctorQuad 05-17-2019 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by merryman (Post 3418889)
It must be 10 years since I did the front UJs on a Big Bear, so I can't remember how much play there was, also it would have been a high mileage machine and loads of slop in the splines. Is there another circlip, on the diff pinion, that stops the front yoke from going too far forwards, remember with the circlips out of their grooves there has to be enough slide on the yokes to get the shaft out when removing the UJs,

Thanks for the input merryman! I already had changed the u joints, no problems there or getting the drive gear or driveshaft out, but when I was reinstalling(C clips in their groves nicely) the shaft would slide back and forth, I Gave the side of the transfer case a few love taps with a deadblow hammer more towards under the engine direction and it seems stiff in there now, and the axle has lots of spline contact on both sides....so who knows, I guess the transfer box just wasn't seated in its spot good enough, will ride it and keep a close eye.

merryman 05-19-2019 01:32 AM

A bit puzzled, as far as I know the transfer box is bolted rigidly to the engine cases, so how can it move when you hit it with a hammer?