Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 400

Old 05-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 400 radiator fan

Okay I have a Yamaha Kodiak 400 I'm trying to figure out if the radiator fan is supposed to kick on while the machine is just idling I started it up I let it idle for a while no cooling fan would come on so I turned the ignition key to off and the radiator fan would kick on then I turn the key back to the on position and the radiator fan would then turn off is this normal or did somebody wire this backwards

Last edited by Brett Boisvert; 05-22-2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Changed the title
Old 05-24-2019, 01:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I was waiting for someone with that model to chime in, but as nobody has... Because, when you switch off, the cooling water stops circulating, if the temp sender unit for the fan is somewhere where the heat from the engine rises to, it could cause a fan that isn't wired through the ignition, to start. However this wouldn't explain why it switches off when you turn the ignition back on, so I would guess that either someone has wired it up wrong, or a relay has a fault and is sending the wrong signal to the fan motor. You need the wiring diagram, unless you can see obvious signs of "butchered" wiring.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told on another site that it might be the wrong ignition in the machine another guy said he had the same exact issue and I can tell that this is a new ignition in this machine so I ordered another one I will be installing the proper one and hopefully that will fix it