Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee rear brake pads are gone sooo fast...is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2001, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed to new pads last...october (not exactly sure), and thought I wouldn't have problems with em before some time (I've had the same pads on a mx bike for more than a year) since I didn't touch the quad for january/february/march/mid april.
Anyways, yesterday, I was told "hey! your rear brake is on fire!". I had noticed that the rear brakes was kinda weird, but I assumed it was linked to the 2 big nuts that would untighten.
Now I took the pads off. Boy it was time...2 months ago! I have gone through the metal...of the pads...and not a little (lucky the disc is tough). That would mean I blasted the pads within 2 months!!! This has to be a joke!
Is anybody else experiencing such a fast wear? I just can't believe it.

PS. The parking brake was off all the time (and now I just threw it away sinceI never used it)

Old 04-27-2001, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider

That sounds way too fast no matter what type of riding you're doing. Maybe the parking brake is adjusted too tight and dragging or something??? Rotor warped??? Hard to say.

Old 04-27-2001, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

This is what I wanted to hear. It's not normal.
The rotor is a brand new EBC (normal size). Before that it look slike the previous owner had ridden/braked with no pads because the caliper is machined (the 2 "fingers" that hold the external pad). He had replaced the pads leaving it like this destroying the original disc (looked more like a plate than a disc). I changed disc and put a spacer. The wear has been "normal" except that it was extremely fast. When I say normal, I mean it was regular, not one side was more worn than the other...etc.
It was probably the parking brake. I took it off a few weeks ago (and added a block off plate), I'll check if everything is correct, then it SHOULD be correct...I hope.

Thanks

Old 04-27-2001, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

Zorro,
It's because you ride sooo fast! J.J.

Anyway, by chance is the rotor bent? I had a bent rotor that was just a little bent and the pads would wear extremely fast. I went with a Braking rotor and CM44 pads. Much better than stock.

Old 04-27-2001, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Might sound crazy but what kind of pads are you running? I ran a set of SBS pads once and only once. Rode them for maybe a month and they were toasted. My EBC or Dunlops have done very well usually lasting a year or better.

Old 04-27-2001, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

Also...where do you rest your foot when riding...
Are you resting on top of the lever without even knowing it? Just a little pressure will cause quick wear.. Just a thought.
I tend to change the pads at least twice a summer...But thats just my riding style. I spend a good amount of time on the track and use the brakes to help through the quick/short turns. On and off all the time. My 400ex allows me to use compression braking on the turns...Not the banshee.

Old 04-27-2001, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

I'm gonna try to answer everyone...

swytak,
the rotor isn't bent, I changed it together with the pads. it was brand new, hasn't took any hit, and the wear is even on the whole pad surface.

Jennifer,
it's a set of EBC. As well as the rotor. I wanted to get Braking pads, but the dealer didn't have em in stock.

sAyIt_fmf,
I rest my foot on the little mobile footpeg...isn't it right?
I really don't think I'm resting on it.

I also use the rear brake in most conditions...and not having rear brake has been a little weird...hehe

I took apart the parking brake crap, cleaned it...and it looked like it was locked (it was full of oxydation/moisture). I made sure it would allow the little piston to move, and put it back on. It looks like there is a little loose between the pads and the disc now. I never thought of checking that before. I'm gonna keep an eye on it now.