Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Even Money Shoot-Out, $8,000 EX vs.$8,000 Raptor vs. $8,000 DS vs. Cannondale.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 03:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about an even money shoot-out? Take the most expensive, in this case the Cannondale at what? $8,000? Give each quad the difference in modification money. The Cannon already has lots of goodies, and there isn't much you can buy for it anyway. The 400EX is the cheapest, and needs the most mods to be competitive. An EX goes for what? $5,995? So it gets 2 grand in modifications. I have a DS and a Raptor and I know they need mods just to get out the door.
A DS or Raptor with $1,500 worth of mods would give a Cannondale a hell of a good run, as would an EX with 2 grand.
Almost nobody rides these things stock anyway, comparing stock
sport quads is unrealistic. My DS needed those upper A-arms bad. That shoot-out a couple of months ago in Dirtwheels where they tricked out the Raptor and left the DS pretty much stock sucked.
They should have put TimmyBoys on the DS too, it doesn't need the lowers or widening, but the steering geometry is screwed with the stock uppers, TimmyBoys fixes it. I'm surprised the Raptor did as well as it did in this last shoot-out, without a wider rear axle.
That is a must do in my opinion. The EX would have the extra dough for some motor reinforcement, which it needs the most, at least a good pipe.
Hey Dirtwheels, Are you Listening??

Old 05-31-2001, 08:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

good idea... but you forgot one quad... the BANSHEE. an $8000 dollar banshee would kick some major ***.

meat

Old 05-31-2001, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

The banshee would only get $2000 in add ons.. I still think the raptor w/ $1500 would be a better quad.

Raptor, Big Gun Exhaust ($500), Jets($25), AirBox Mod(Free), ProDesign Filter($100). Double Rate Shocks up front($750). Thats 1375, $125 to spare..

Banshee.. lets say you did basically the same setup on the shee, Toomeys instead of the Big Gun, you'd then have $625 left for go fast toys, what would you do to upgrade it past the raptor? Cool Design Head? Vitos Power pistons?.. Humm.. It might give the the others a run..

Shee.. still no reverse, still a kick start.

I love both quads, but for what you get the raptor is a steal at $6495.. at least IMHO..

Brad

Old 05-31-2001, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

If you can't kick start a Banshee you need to be on a Lark scooter.$2000 in a Shee, come on! SSTs, Vforce valves and a pro flow and it would be the fastest quad out there.

Old 05-31-2001, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

I just want to say that this is a great idea! The banshee should be in there for sure. I hope someone is reading this......

Adam

Old 05-31-2001, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

I can kick start a banshee all day long... thats not the comment. Yes they are easy to start. I did it for years. I have found a couple times when a electric start has been really nice, like on a hill where I stalled. Hmmm.. can't much hold the rear and front break while kicking can you?

I know that people also say reverse is for wimps, but on trail riding it rocks... enough said..

Not trying to rag on the banshee.. I road one for years... but people are being so stubborn to admit the raptor is a top notch quad..

Just my $.02
I could be wrong..

Old 05-31-2001, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

Just went riding last sunday.There was a real technical creek crossing(steep entrance and very steep and muddy exit)I cleared it on my TRI-Z and a buddy that was there was scared to go for it and asked me to ride his Blaster across.Well I walked across the creek got wet as hell and rode his blaster across, to make a long story short I stalled it halfway up the other side, I wasn't used to the lack of power.I'm on a steep mud covered creek bank stalled, I squeezed the front brake, pulled the clutch in and kick started it,revved it up and cleared the bank, no big deal. It would have been easier with electric, but thats my point.The Raptor is a nice trail quad, but a small one legged child could kick start a Shee.

Old 05-31-2001, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

they wouldnt do that because then they wouldnt be able to sell the ds,or raptor,or 400 because the 8000 banshee wouldnt be touched p.s. eat my roost

Old 05-31-2001, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

well i got three short things to say

#1 electric start is very nice, but not necesarily a neccesity

#2 a honda 400ex retails for 4995 around here, so youd be out the door at about 5400, which gives you 600 more dollars for engine work. (505 kit? no other fourstroke would touch it)

#3 what type of racing were you talking about? sure if it is a long drag race, probably all of them (or atleast the shee) would beat it, but I bet through the woods or on a motocross track, the 400ex would definately be up there.

Old 05-31-2001, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

i might be wrong but i don't think u can get a 505 kit for 600 bucks

Quick Reply: Even Money Shoot-Out, $8,000 EX vs.$8,000 Raptor vs. $8,000 DS vs. Cannondale.