Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Finally rode a raptor

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To start...A bit about what I am used too.
I currently own a banshee, 400ex, drz400(thumper) and a kx250.
While at a local riding area this weekend...I was able to see a raptor in action for the first time....then take it for a ride...and drag it with the banshee.
Anything that I may say about the raptor is to be understood to be MY opinion...so all you owners, do not take it against you.( I kind of liked it)
The raptor had a big gun pipe (way loud for me) and jetting...that was about it.
My banshee has fmf pipes...jetting, airbox, some port work, pistons (once over). Then some suspension mods..So it's up in the air whether or not the comparison is even fair to start with.
Our riding area is basically an old sand mine...so It's about 15-20 acres of pretty much whoops and bowls...
He came right over when he saw the banshee...telling me how he was up in the air on which machine to buy, but ended up deciding on the raptor. We rode together for a few ( I was showing him some trails)...then we found a nice strait away to race a bit. Since this area is wide open...the ground is never flat(the wind always blows). It has constant whoops everwhere. I was hoping for an area that was totally flat. We raced four or five times. I did beat him every time pretty badly. The last time, he stopped mid way. ( I did grow up riding there though and he was complaining of arm pump) He was having a difficult time getting it to stop swapping through the bumps. And the sand was giving him a hard time on the starts. We did not switch quads at that point because he was afraid of doing damage to my machine. I tried and tried to get him to switch...just to see the outcome. He was more than happy to let me ride his (he eventually rode the banshee, but still would not race it).
I liked the way I felt sitting on it...for sure taller than the banshee though.
They are fast..that's for sure. I just did not feel like I was in control of it . I can see why he had such a hard time with the drag race through the bumps. The stock suspension either was not set up right..or just too soft for large whoops.I tried hammering through it and just plain had to slow down. I was getting beat to death. It does wheely like a dream....alot easier than the banshee to ride long wheelies. But that hurts on the take off to have the front end lofting towards the sky. Totally different than I imagined it would be. I was expecting it to act more like the 400ex. But wow..what a power difference.
I spent sometime looking over the front end and a couple of other known problem areas... His seemed to work just fine...it shifted when it was told too...and took right off on command. He said that his carbs have never blown off...he has not bent an arm...and his tranny is very smooth. (which I thought it was too).
Over all..I still like my banshee. (it's hard to get rid of something your so used to) Would I buy one? Not yet. I would have to overhaul it for my riding style. (like I did the banshee) Fast? Yes for sure. Faster than the banshee? I say no...but I always will too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] (we are meeting again next weekend) Jumps? Not so well...I only weigh 165 and I was hitting the ground hard. Even in sand. Heavy? felt about the same as the banshee. (I forgot my scales [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )
My opinion: Needs to be either lowered or wider arms and axel. New suspension for sure. And maybe a smaller counter sprocket. All in all, I liked it but it was very very tippy. I can't wait until he gets a bit more practiced on it. Maybe I found a new riding buddy.
His opinion. (well I told him about the forum, so maybe he will show) But he said the banshee scared the Sh*T out of him... He was not used to the 2 stroke hit...coming off a 250 trailboss.
Well...It was not too interesting I guess...But thanks for taking the time to read my littly story. I am sitting at my desk at work with little to do but pass the time for another half an hour. Feel free to comment as you feel fit. Just don't be offended with my opinion of the raptors downfalls. All quads have them...as does everybody with their own opinion.

Old 06-11-2001, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with you on a few points. There is no matching that 2-stroke punch the Shee has. The Raptor is just as fast, just a different type of power. Help your new-found buddy dial in his suspension and give us some more feedback. The Raptor does feel taller and tippier. Have him switch his rear linkage and it will feel way better and does not adversely affect suspension.

The more you ride the Raptor the better it feels. I love it more and more every ride. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2001, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

Utica... thats near Syracuse right? Used to live there.

Old 06-11-2001, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

I came from a '96 Banshee and am alot happier with my Raptor. I imagine the big issue with the Raptor not handling the whoops like you said the Banshee did is probably whatever suspension mods you have done to it. Because from what I read in many of the magazines the Raptor handle's whoops much better than the Banshee, and I know the Raptor doesn't beat me up as much as my Banshee did. Anyway, everyone has their opinion, thats what these boards are all about.

Old 06-12-2001, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah..like I said. I have works triple rates up front and ultracross in the rear. along with extended lonestar arms and a lonestar swing. Those mods made the banshee a whole different machine in the whoops.
There was just something funny about the raptor and bumps. The guy would not say if he tried to tweak the stock raptor suspension or not. I am very light compared to alot of you guys out there. And I was really bottoming it hard. (well it felt like bottoming...I guess it could have been too stiff)
Oh well...I will see him this weekend...Maybe He will let me try it again. I just don't like beating up other peoples machines.
There was no argument that it is fast....just seems like it takes longer to get there. Which would be great for a nice wide open course..or cooking through the desert. But not so good on a short tight track. I felt like every time I got the speed up...I was ready to slam the brakes, down shift and turn... Where my banshee is just the opposite. I get up to speed really fast and am able to keep on the power more through the turn. It could be me. Everyone adapts to a different riding style according to the machine they are used to.

and ...Yes..Utica is near syracuse..about an hour away.

Old 06-12-2001, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would first like to start off by saying I to thought that the raptor was down on power and acceleration when I first bought it last year (compared to the banshee that is). I had a big gun exhaust put on it with the stock header without any other mods just the free flowing exhaust. To make a long story short I got used to the power real quick and I didn't like the tippy feeling due to the raptor being a little too tall for aggressive trail riding and powersliding in the dunes.

I then read some threads in these forums and learned that flipping the linkage would help out with the tippy feeling. I also started running gbc shredders on the rear to help out with the powersliding. I added a pro flow kit without the airbox lid to help the quad rev out faster. Here in salt lake the elevation is around 4,500 to 5,000 and I had luck with jetting, I was pretty close on the first try. I ended up going with 25 pilots and 155, 160 mains without the airbox lid. Oh my god, this weekend was my first test ride and I am all smiles. I kept the same stock countershaft sprocket cause I went out to the dunes this past weekend, but I would like to go up one size up front. 3rd gear is now a lot more powerful cause I now can keep the tires spinning and roost at the top of big hill climbs. the quad seemed to float a lot more in the sand and the powersliding is excellent.

The quad pulls hard and revs out fast through 1st 2nd and 3rd. 4th revs out pretty quick also, but not as fast as the first three gears. I didn't really get a chance to see 5th this past weekend but when I did I noticed it didn't rev out as fast as it did 1st through 4th, it got up to speed a lot faster than it did when the airbox lid was on it though. Oh yeah, I forgot about the handling. the quad feels a lot safer on the trails when you are going fast, and I do mean fast. it slides around corners and powerslides in the sand a lot better, and I owe it all to the flipped linkage and maybe the tires.

to end this post I would like to say that this is a totally different machine only after a few minor mods and a little wrench work. I am now very pleased that I bought a raptor and I am confident that the quad has the potential to keep up with the fast trail and racing machines.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2001, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys I am thinking of trading my Warrior in for either a Banshee or Raptor. Now since I am use to having a four-stroke and no real big area to rev out a Banshee. I am leaning more toward the Raptor. What do you guys mean about flipping the rear linkage? Please explain.

Old 06-13-2001, 01:30 AM
Range Rover

I had the opportunity this past Monday on my day off after working all weekend, to try out my buddies new B/W Raptor. He traded it on his 01 B/W Banshee and in our riding area (mostly wood trails) it was a trade for the best! First off, he doesn't have to mix gas, gets a hell of a lot more riding on one tank. Went out from 10am to 4:30pm with maybe a total of 1 hr. breaks and lunch in between riding and he still had plenty of gas left. His Banshee would have lasted most of the trip but definately would have had to gas up before all said and done.

Another thing was reverse. There was at least 4 occasions I can think of that he had to use it because we ran into some new trails that we had to back track through and instead of jumping off and lugging it around, just popped into reverse and turned around. Big bonus!

I asked him how he liked it compared to the Banshee and he said that he didn't regreat it one bit. The power is a lot different but don't get me wrong, its got plenty of power for trail riding. We switched machines on a long dirt road and I had the opportunity to really open it up. Man, what a feeling when you can barely see the trees flying by you and your jersey almost becomes part of you, its so tight around the arms and waiste. Whoa!! I drove his Banshee a few times and its a blast to ride and the power is way explosive and a rush to ride but I find theres a lot of maintenance and more hassles with it, but its all in what turns your crank I guess.

I got some pics of it if your interested http://communities.msn.ca/slywolf75satvdenn

LOOK IN PHOTOGALLERY/PAGE2^^^

Old 06-13-2001, 03:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I also had the chance to ride a Raptor this past weekend and it was pretty nice and fast. I know for sure though that if I were to get a new quad, I will keep the banshee forever. It is just so much more faster "feeling" and when it hits its powerband there is no other quad that can give you the same feeling...

RoostKing...

Old 06-13-2001, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Yes...I agree. There is nothing like a good running banshee hitting the powerband.
Reverse was mentioned above for the raptor. Not a concern of mine at all...maybe someday...when I'm too weak to get my butt off the quad. It takes me all of 3 seconds to lift and spin the rear end. Maybe it's just me...But I never even tried it on the raptor. My old 300ex had reverse. (I think [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) It was hardly ever used. The trails around here are just not that tight.
I have also gotten to the point where I can just about spin the banshee around without getting off it on most tight trails. Oh well. That's the reason some people like some machines..and some like others.
Unless someone gives me one...I will not be buying a raptor anytime soon. My next wheeler purchase will not even be a sport model. I have too much land to maintain with a lawn tractor alone. I am in need of a good 4x4...We will see how the new Grizzly holds up. The idea of fully independant suspension has sparked my attention.