Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2001 Raptor owner's we need to raise some HELL!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK as of now we all know that Yamaha has changed the tranny gears, shock and rear axle on the 2002 models, which is cool. But they should at least upgrade our tranny's!!!!!!! The axle is no big deal to most of us seeing how it was too narrow anyway, plus my LSR just look's cool. The stock shock I feel is a good unit so this also does not bother me. Now as for the F#$@in tranny, I am pissed!!!! I have yet to have a problem with mine, but if they(Yamaha) changed it already then they(Yamaha) know they had serious design problems with it. I have dealt with Yamaha b4 on some other quad problem's and they don't like to admit thay they are ever wrong, they just tell you, you were abusing it, or driver error. I have a hard time believing it we are all abusing our Raptor's. Well in my opionin if they changed the 2002 models then they should recall our's. I mean think about it we spent over 6000 grand, it's would the least they could do. Don't get me wrong I love my Raptor I just don't want to have it lose it's value because it has the old style tranny gear's!!! We as 2001 owner's need to stand up for this, this is the only way we will get our quad's fixed!! AND HELL NO I WILL NOT PAY A SINGLE PENNY MORE FOR IT, They should of sent us a letter about it, or a survey and then fixed ours. Like the letter we are getting now about the new GYT-R parts coming out for the Raptor, but notice they don't tell you they have changed the tranny's gear's and axle's(2 of the most common problems) We need a lawyer or someone who know's someone high up in Yamaha to take of this problem,or someone to get a list of all the 2001 owner's and sign a letter stating how unhappy we are as 2001 owner's. Once again I feel as though Big Blue is banging me in the **** without my permission. If anyone know's the email of the president of Yamaha post it here so we can let him know how pissed we are about this. Who know's maybe Yamaha will send us a letter telling us to to get our tranny's upgraded, but I seriously doubt it. But my Raptor probably won't see much action anyway seeing how my new toy came in yesterday. What is it you ask? 2001 Harley Davidson Fat Boy cutom color and damn is it SWEET. Just my 2 cent's.

Old 06-15-2001, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

the thing about it is they arent goin to admit to any problem!! hahaha just ask any dealer. the ones i have spoke with say they havent seen any problems other than abuse. the one dealer attributed the tranny problems to abuse. yeah in a pigs eye!! every single 2001 raptor owner should take the time and call that yamaha # and complain. imagine if 20,000+ phone calls was made to the same #!!! that would be hilarious. or better yet a class action lawsuit should be filed on behalf of all 2001 owners.

just my thoughts/

Old 06-15-2001, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

I believe that if an attorney was hired and a class action suit was filed, they would have to provide a list of buyers in order for them to decide if they wanted to be part of the class action, or opt out of it. If this wasn't the case, GM would probably only provided a list of about 15 truck owners from 1974-1986 when it came time to settle on the exploding gas tank issue.

Surely we have a lawyer on this board, or do we? If so, please provide some insight on things that we may not have considered. What would be the burden of proof when it comes to a claim of a faulty product?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 06-15-2001, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 2001 Yamaha RAptor, and i too am ENRAGED that the so calld "problem" hasen't been delt with. But, hey, i could be wrong, my quad is fine for now. You better bet i will be buying the extended warrinty. I paid almost $7000 for something that could detonate a tranny???? It makes me think i shouldda bought a 400ex!!!. At least they are known to be bulletproof!!!. I think yamaha should really come out with a replacement part to fix this. It will be cheaper for them to have a recall on the 2001's then have to do $1,000 of dollars of warrinty work for everyone.
All i can say, is that i am behind RAISIN' Some HELL!!!. I mean Comon yamaha!!! I hope they do a recall, or make a FIX part!!!.

Old 06-16-2001, 12:16 AM
Trailblazer

MESSAGE TO YAMAHA: GET A PART TO FIX THIS "TRANNY LOCKUP PRPBLEM"!!! You fixed it on the new ones, so what is the part u used? I would like my tranny not to det!!!

Old 06-16-2001, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]well put william wallace. but let's wait and see if yamaha got it right this time before we request "new" parts for our raptors. they may be no better than what you have now. time will tell. yamaha doesn't only sell atvs. their sportbikes change so much year to year that you know what you just bought is very soon to be outdated. so with saying that; i imagine yamaha will not admit to "problems" only "evolution" of the product. does anyone know if they changed those foggy headlights. i've had no problems with anything.(knock on wood)

Old 06-16-2001, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

who told you guys that Yamaha updated the tranny, shock and axle? Is it just hearsay? I have a good friend who works at my local Yammie shop and he said he hadn't heard about the bad trannys. I'm not saying there isn't a problem, I'm just curious as to where you guys are getting this info.

Old 06-16-2001, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

Why waste your time getting mad? We ALL knew going in to this that first year models of anything may be unproven...who do you think the REAL R&D department is for any manufacturer? It's the consumers! They are the only ones who can make a true evaluation as to how durable a piece of equiptment is. I don't think the '01 Raptors are a chunk of shi*, but as the competition in the sport and hi-performance market heats up, the manufactures have to quit handing us nothing more than "bold new graphics" each year if they want to retain the advantage. It's only right that Yamaha would then try to upgrade and better their offerings. Don't misunderstand me...I also am pissed that my beautiful Raptor is no longer the best out there. I have not enjoyed since day one the poorly selected gear ratios of the first three cogs. I don't like worrying about my tranny grenading on me somewhere out in BFE, either. You can BET that along with the different ratios in gears 1-3, that Yamaha quietly beefed up the strength of these also. Why wouldn't they? They got to start out with a clean sheet of paper. It's a good thought, but we've got the chance of a snowball in hell of getting them to do anything about this. To do so is an outright admission of failure on their part, and no way are they gonna stick their neck out! Evolution of product is inevitable, and just something we are going to have to accept. Remember the '87 Suzuki Quadzilla as opposed the the '88 and later models? It was known as the undesirable model, because of some design flaws that they had to immediately remedy. That's just the way things go sometimes, unfortunately. My personal remedy is that I am seriously considering selling my '01 and getting an '02, mostly for the revised transmission ratios and hopefully better durability. If I can pull this off for somewhere around $1000 extra, I would be satisfied. If it doesn't work out, then I will still be proud to own my '01. Does anyone know when the '02's will be available?