ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Dirt Wheels Observations (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/41494-dirt-wheels-observations.html)

250rampage 06-15-2001 04:37 PM

After being subscribed to dirt wheels mag for 3 and 1/2 years, I have started to notice a few things.

1.)This company must not know what a calendar is. I got the August 2001 issue on June 13th. Even the stores get rid of them after the second day in august.

2.)They have to make a crapload of cash in ads. In one spot I counted 8 pages with nothing but ads on it (actually, there were two short letters).

3.)They are very indescisive. I cannot remember a shootout where they listed a clear winner. It's always "too close to call", or "better for different riders". Almost all dirtbike shootouts I read end with something along the lines "Out of 125cc MX bikes, the Yamaha yz125 is the CLEAR winner"

4.)A earlier year model of the same bike is better than a brand new one. Example: When the 400ex first came out, it was the best thing ever, with aboundant amounts of power. Now it is at a severe deficet and is now a wimpy play bike (I have the issues at hand to prove it)

5.)They don't release all information that they have to there readers. It takes more than 1 day after yamaha releases the information about a new model to write an article, publish it, print it, bind it, and get it to my door. Yet, one month earlier, they knew nothing about it except for they had some "Spy Photos" that they claimed to have taken (unsuprisingly, all the other mags had similar shots in there issues the same month).

6.)When a new quad is released, it is always the best bike, no contest. Remember when the canondale came out? It was better than everything else around. Now, it is ranked below the 400ex (which is severly underpowered, remeber) in a high performance shootout. Also, isn't ironic that the bike that wins a shootout (by a VERY narrow margin of course), is almost always the newest one?

7.)No product is ever a bad one. Do you ever remeber reading a bad review of something in a Dirt Wheels magazine? 'nuff said.

8.)Same old stuff. After I read a review of a bike, aside from the technology and specs, I feel like I've read it a hundred times before, every bike is great, with only a few minor problems that they aren't exstatic about.

9.)I have more pet-peeves, but I don't feel like writing them down right now, maybe
I'll update this post later.

I know that it is easy for me to sit here and critisize, but after being a loyal reader for so long, i'm getting pretty sick of hearing the same old crap regurgatated at me every issue. I'm actually getting to the point where I only look at them for the pictures and ads.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

GaryManilow 06-15-2001 04:57 PM

Yeah you have to take what they say with a grain of salt.You can get some good info from them, but you also have to consider like everthing , politics.I still haven't gotten my august issue.

skramblr 06-16-2001 01:21 PM

Here's a few of my comments. Read them is you like. Call me full of S#*#. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I just feel like typing today. If I'm flat out wrong, please tell me the issue and page number showing my mistake. I need a good reason to sit down and thumb through my old mags.

1) You're lucky. At my local stores, the August issue will not be on display before August 1st, at which point the July ussues are pulled.

2) Too many ads.

3) Although dirt bikes are versitile, I think the quads have more uses and cover more terrian better. When's the last time you saw a dirt bike with a winch? IE, dirt bikes in sand work but don't work near as well as quads. So, there is a lot more gound to cover with a quad review. I like sports quads, but if I had big bucks - I'd have a different quad for each terrian. Also, none of the $6000 quads suck which makes black and white decisions impossible (IMHO).
I do believe if you check you mags, you'll see that they do often pick winners with one on one reviews.

4) The way I read it, the earlier model year bike was bet.. In It's Day! Do you really think the 400CC honda should still be top of the heap in power against all the 650CC bikes? I that is a bad example to make your case on. And I seem to remember last year they were still calling it king of the woods.

5) I've read manufacturers often 'leak' spy photos..that magazines eagerly gobble up. It's too bad if the mag claims they took them. Did Dirtwheels really say they took them? I usually notice that and I didn't remember that claim from them recently.
And of coarse the mags don't release all the info they may have. If they are lucky enough for a preview, manufaturers usually make them sign an NDA first. That means they are open to legal action (or at least banned from any more previews) if they disclose any info before date XX/XX/XX.

6) Hmmm. Not always. I seem to remember hesitation on claiming the FX is king, instead saying they had to wait until a shootout. Which they did. Of which the FX was not.

7) Bad reviews. You're right that they are seldom and usually never aimed at the big boys. But go back a few issues and look at those reviews on the Mini's. There have been a few bad reviews. Did you have a particular ATV in mind for a bad review?

Sandhopper 06-16-2001 02:06 PM

Skrambler, I have to agree with you. I have a 400, and it was the #$*( when it first came out - but look at what is coming out these days! It's outdated as far as engine size goes! But they still have MUCH respect for the 400, and always have, in every article I have read. (and I read them all!)

There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that we, as the public, are generally not aware of. Politics, legalities, sponsorship, etc. I feel they do a good job of giving the information I want, and need to make my own decisions about the quads. I wouln't read them if they bashed quads. That is not necessary, nor is it professional. I have never had a problem making up my own mind which quad won a shootout, or was better in what area. They make that very plain and do it in such a way as to stay professional, give good info.

As for ads - they have to make money. They have the largest magazine I have seen regarding quads, and have to staff alot of people, and they don't make money by selling issues. They make money with their ads. I would rather still get Dirtwheels and thumb through the ads (which I have used at times)than have them go broke and be stuck with what's left in the ATV/Mag world. (not bashing other mags, I get those too, but Dirtwheels is the most thorough of all of them)

Corry

imported_juggalo 06-16-2001 04:22 PM

personally i don't mind all the ads. i think its fun to read all the ads and see what kinds of things are out for different quads.

Andy Bassham 06-16-2001 07:28 PM

Good point. I think I just get it for the pictures anymore.

bmxatv10 07-15-2001 11:47 PM

Yeah i haven't bought one in a long time myself, bout fed up with it here as well, yeah the pics are about the most interesting thing in there now days![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

lonestarbanshee 07-15-2001 11:59 PM

I agree with Juggalo. If they didn't have so many ads, we wouldn't know what companies are competetive price wise! Just thnk.. 4wheelatv action dosen't have many ads, but.. they're mags aren't as big! If you guys need to save money, you'll know what i'm talking about. I enjoy looking through their ads, and trying to find the cheapest place to buy my parts! I dunno.. but it seems like i actually ahve to WORK for mine!

I do think they are somewhat biast.. I mean.. come on.. have you ever heard them say something sucks?? You guys should read a magazine called Motorcross Action. They have a copy of a letter they sent to Cannondale concerning the MX400. Guys, they BASHED that bike. I mean.. it took them 3 pages to explain what they thought was wrong with the bike! WE NEED MAGAZINES LIKE THAT!! THEY DON'T CARE WHAT WE THINK.. THEY TELL THE TRUTH, AND NOTHIN LESS!

Xplor 07-16-2001 12:35 AM

I only have one point to make. We all read magazines for pleasure and information. It's all marketing. They are there to help sell ATV's and associated products. The magazines help market ATV's and all the other products and services. More ATV sales = more magazine readers = bigger and more profitable industry for everyone. Obviously they are going to hype everything up. Image is everything. Companies pay big bucks to advertise in order to boost sales and gain clients. Buisness, plain and simple. Plus, if you had a product...lets say an expensive motor mod for a Banshee... and you placed an add or had the magazine write an aricle about it and it got trashed...you would never advertise again and maybe even sue the magazine. Just my opinion. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

mtecate4g 07-16-2001 01:05 AM

i think what the mags should do is go back to the way they were in the past(early to late 80's) when they had lots of tech tips, how toos and product testing. I would rather see that because then they give you ideas on your own quad to make it the best for you not trying to decide wich quads are best over and over. If everyone left there quads stock then it might be a little easier to only do shoot outs. I think they are getting lazy and dont want to be out in the shop tinkering to write about how certain aftermarket parts work. They do have some articles on how to this and that and pipe shoot outs occasionally but not enough. After seeing the 400EX pipe shootout i wish they would do that for all quads cause i was realy suprised how crappy some of the exhausts were. MORE readers rides would be nice also.