Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just installed CT racing pipe kit.....pictures, and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 05:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.geocities.com/vet_klr/660r.html

I see a lot of post wanting to know information about the CT Racing pipe We'll I installed one today, and thought I would provide others with some info. Mostly my opinion, and findings.

Hit my web site for all the pics. I installed the kit today, and it's impressive. I don't know that it's making advertised HP, but it's different. I hit the rev limiter in 1st,2nd,and 3rd the first time I rode it. It pulls real hard, and fast to the rev limiter. I have never even touched the rev limiter before, and I've rode it hard. It wheelies like a dream in 2nd gear now. Before it would wheelie in 3rd with out much work. Now I can ease into it in 2nd pull the wheels, and just keep slowly give it gas to hold the wheelie until it runs out of gear. I was riding some long wheelies today. I need some practice, and then I plan on learning how to shift on a wheelie. All the way through 2nd, and 3rd would be a long wheelie.

CT racing was very good to deal with. I received the kit when they said it would be here. The price ended up being a few bucks less than what they told me...bonus.

It went together pretty well. The only issue that takes some time was fitting the Pro Design kit w/ K&N into the air box. I had to trim alot out of the inside of the box, and lid to get every thing to fit right. It does fit good though. I'm running with my lid on now, but will probably take it off completely when not riding in mud and water. It won't stop much mud or water(I drilled lots of holes), but some. The pipe went on easy. And I'm getting better at changing jets so that wasn't bad.

Now I'm ready to drag race my buddies banshees. Last time I raced them it was me ahead good until I hit 4th gear, and they passed me. If I get ahead now they're in for a race. I think I might be able to flat take them. We'll see though, only running them will prove it. I'll post after we race. I always kill them in the dirt, gravel, or anything that isn't pavement anyways. We'll be riding on Sunday at Deepwater, MO.

Email me if you have any questions about the kit.

Later,
Dan

Old 08-27-2001, 11:36 AM
Range Rover

The race:

I raced 1 of my buddies modified Banshee.

It has the following mods..

High compression piston(don't know how high, but he has to run race gas)
Reeds w/spacer
Boost bottle
Lower gear with sprockets
FMF pipes
K&N filter
Jetting
Ported head

This bike used to be able to give me a 10 bike length head start, and then catch me and blow past me...used to.
Now it's all in the holeshot. If I get just a half a bike length off the line, I'll never see him. Same with him. If he gets the hole shot I can't pull around him. We ran once from a roll in 1st gear, and both took off at the same time. We stayed side by side the entire race until I ran out of gear. His bike seemed to have more gearing, even with lower geared sprockets. Must be that 6th gear?

I would have to say at this point the HP claims from CT Racing are right on. This Banshee is fast, and now so is my bike. It's got so much more power now. Anyone wanting to make their Raptor fly for $569 to your door, get the CT Racing pipe kit with the Pro-Design K&N. I don't work for CT Racing, and by no means associated with them. I highly recomend the setup. This bike is just flat out wrong now.

Later,
Dan

Old 08-27-2001, 01:31 PM
Banned

Hi Bad660R,

You have a very nice machine. I'm looking to purchase an exhaust system for my bike and I was considering the Big Gun, full race exhaust, quiet core. Would you be able to tell me what the decibal level is on the CT exhaust? Is it very loud? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

IronBear

Old 08-27-2001, 01:48 PM
Range Rover

I don't know what the decibel level is, but with the spark arestor in, it's not that bad. It's not much louder than the stock pipe w/ spark arestor out. I also had all 16 disk it came with in it. You can take out disk until it's where you want it. It's suppose to make more power with the spark arestor with 16 disk in than the open end cap. However with the open end cap, it's extremely loud. Sounds awesom, but man it's loud as heck. I still highly recomend the CT racing kit.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Old 08-27-2001, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

What is the CT web site?

Old 08-27-2001, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider
Old 08-27-2001, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

I would check out HMF if I were you. They are the best exhaust for the money. It puts out big time power for a small price.

Old 08-28-2001, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

How are you jetted with the HMF? I am running the same with the DynaJet kit also... I went with the suggested jetting. 146/148 I think, with needles on 4th clip from top. I think it still may be rich though and really want to get as much power as possible.

Old 08-28-2001, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

Guys,

I seriously recommend you look again at CT's exhaust kit. No one will publish numbers like theirs. They had their numbers posted on their website months ago, and at least 2 magazines confirmed it.

FMF doesn't publish you get 13 HP gain on a California model. They don't publish that the best gain is 32 HP down low. Big Gun? DMC? Who publishes those numbers?

Man, that's alot of power for just an exhaust. No engine mods, cam mods, etc. Just reliable power. I read Trinity is getting 63 HP from their 680 kit with exhaust. That's a ton of juice.

But, for the exhaust only, you can't beat CT's offering. It is the cheapest HP per dollar pipe. It will be my choice in a couple of weeks.

RM

Old 08-28-2001, 04:44 PM
Range Rover

Yep, Look at the real results of the CT Racing pipe on my bike. I have no others to compare it to, but it rocks. I have a hard time believing a slip on pipe could match it in power though. My bike runs with fast modded banshees now. Just a complete pipe, filter, jets, and 12 tooth front sprocket. I would have ordered the Curtis Sparks, but they told me 3-4 weeks and that wasn't solid. It also would have cost me a lot more, and wasn't sold as a package. They sell individual pieces. The CT Racing kit is a complete matched, dynoed, proven package. That means alot. The Dirt Wheels that they tested it in even ended up with the full setup making the most power. All 16 disk in the spark arrestor. When you get the kit the 12 disk are in a package, and then you get seperate loose disk. They send you those extra disk, because that's what it took to get maximum power. They could just give you 12, and call it good. I think they did some serious tuning, and research to arrive at maximum power for a pipe, filter add-on for the raptor. If you look at what you get in the kit for $569 it's also a heck of a deal. Filter w/K&N..$90 or so, Spark arrestor..$50 or so, Jets..$20 or so, Outerwear..$10, crankcase filter..$15, and that leaves about $380 for a complete pipe with a ceramic coated head pipe. Sparks my next choice is $459 plus $49 for the spark arrestor.

The ceramic head pipe is awesome. After riding in heavy mud this last weekend, the only thing that didn't have a drop of mud on it was the headpipe. Mud doesn't stick to it for some reason.

Hopefully this helps somebody with their research of what pipe setup to buy. I'm not disappointed in my decision at all. I asked a lot of questions, and read a lot of information before making my decision. It just seemed like a to good to be true deal, but wasn't luckily.

I'm not dicounting the HMF pipe, or any others but the CT Racing setup kicks azz for the best price per HP! Don't tell them this, but I would have paid more for this kind of power. If I go with a piston, and cam I will call CT Racing!

Later,
Dan

Quick Reply: Just installed CT racing pipe kit.....pictures, and opinions