Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak owners and maybe others (radiator fan)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI

Unless you run really slow for long periods of time, chances are your engine won't get hot enough to kick on the fan. The end problem is that the fan internals end up corroding and then the fan won't kick on when it should.

Solution - every few months try the following:

1) Take the front rack off
2) Take the black plastic piece off
3) Reach down on the right side of the radiator and disconnect the wiring harness from the switch
4) Turn the key on and jumper the two connections in the wiring harness plug with another piece of wire. This will kick the fan on. Let it run for 5-10 minutes to clean up the contacts of the motor, etc.

If you decide to do this and realize that your fan won't spin, try spinning it a few times by hand to get it started. It took me about 30 minutes to get mine back into shape where it would spin at a faster rate.

Hope this info helps someone else out there. Bad enough having to replace the water pump without having to replace the fan too!

Old 08-30-2001, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the tip

Old 08-30-2001, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

I am glad to hear others not hearing their fan much,mine did run more this weekend that it ever has.The dealer said this atv has a large radiator for it's size and thats why it does not need to run much but the bottom line is it has to be what temp the switch is set to come on I guess??
1988 big bear
1995 wolverine
2000 kodiak

Old 08-30-2001, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

There is a switch. I think it is set to come on around 190 degrees but I can't remember exactly. The manual is in the garage so I can't check right now.

Since you noticed your fan coming on more this weekend, did you check your water level? You have the older style water pump that is notorious for leaking. Yamaha corrected the problem by modifying the pump sometime during the 2001 production year. I had two 2001 Kodiaks that both ended up leaking. One was fixed under warranty and I paid for an updated pump for the other.

I decided to install a manual switch in addition to the automatic one so I can toggle it on from time to time without having to remove the black plastic piece (I don't run with racks on mine anymore after the big rollover accident I had).

Later...

Old 08-30-2001, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Have not noticed any leaks and the coolant level is still ok.I think it was running mainly due to the HOT day and the fact there was some mud blocking the radiator cooling fins (which I washed out with a hose as soon as I could).Did you see my post on the brakes by chance??