Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

To those that were totally positive that a 125 dirtbike can SMOKE a Raptor.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, lets say for arguments sake, that he wasn't experienced and couldn't launch well. Then how come he didn't make up any ground and run away from me? His exact words were: "you definatley have alot more on the top end than me".

But even so, he had gotten rid of another dirtbike that he had for some time to get this one so I imagine he should be able to launch fairly well. And also we all know the Raptors short wheelbase and good traction doesn't launch well on pavement. I wouldn't have had a problem if he beat me, but to me it was just that this cleared up the whole Raptor vs. 125 thing because it was clear as day.

Old 10-03-2001, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Just to tell the truth.... A piped 97 CR 125 beat my Banshee in an approximately 300 yard drag. I had my bike pinned in 5th, didnt get to hit 6th, and he was wide open. I MIGHT can take him, but I'm not sure.

Old 10-03-2001, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

Well, well, my experience with CR 125´s is as follow.
Last summer I was at a Sand Motocross Track, with lots of whoops and a looonnnggggg straight. I mean, at the end of that straight I was topping in 6th gear. In that part I beat him badly, and also in the parts that include 4th or higher gears. I mean, when I reach 4th, I was just thinking in not throwing to much sant on him !!(because he isn´t my friend)
In a dirt track, I wouldn´t be so sure about the results.
My Banshee: 99´with FMF pipes, Pro Flow, jeted and stock tires.

Old 10-04-2001, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

I've never raced a 125cc, but I did race a CR250. I was ahead until his 4th gear. After he caught me he pulled away quickly.

Old 10-04-2001, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

we ride from time to time with some 125cc dirt bikes(suzuki rms) and they dont seem to have the steam to hang with us on raptors and banshees. i raced two 200kdx at the same time with my ol banshee and it was dead even. we also ride with a guy with a rm250 and he has tons of respect for the power of the raptor. the raptor can definetly hang with it till top speed. just my opinions.

Old 10-04-2001, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

Well..being that none of my freinds own raptors...I may be of no use to this discussion. But I have a pretty good banshee. And have owned many dirt bikes...including a kx125.
I would like the opportunity to race any of the quads in question with the 125...just to see for myself.(especially on an mx track...I'll be bold...no way the quad is keeping up ...period) I know that my drz400 (with nothing more than jetting and airbox mods) will easily keep up with my banshee....and blow it away in a drag...any conditions.
Man I cannot wait to get a day with a raptor rider... I really like the raptor. But everyone is way too infactuated with owning "the fastest bike out there" ..when 80% of the riders I see have every bit of bolt on... and have no idea how to use any of it. But hey...the quad looks good though... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2001, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

I was at the track on the saturday 14mins talked about and the guy on the 250 was a very good rider. He was really surprised that he was not able to just get up and walk away from the raptors in a drag race. Before the races started all of us thought the raptors would not have a chance and many runs followed. The raptors won some and the 250 won some. The raptors were very impressive. The raptor riders and the 250 rider are experienced riders.

Old 10-04-2001, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

That's cool....I always keep an open mind. I'm just the type of person that has trouble believing...until I see for myself. I'm sure most of you can understand that.

I won't argue over something like this until I know the facts for sure. I just know that I can navigate an MX track on a bike so much easier than on a quad. A bike can turn better...Usually rocket out of hole better...and no argument about jumping and a dirt bike. I can ride any one of my dirt bikes pinned for twice as long as I can ride a wheeler. Especially on a tight rutted track.
I'm sure there are a bunch of excellent riders out there that can make a quad scream on the track...But from what I have seen...the majority of the quad riders start out really strong, and peter off as the race goes on. And most of the time it's the jumping that makes the quad lag. Most riders are not ready to launch an almost 400 lb quad into the atmosphere.

Old 10-04-2001, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

sAyIt_fmf, you said you know that your DRZ400 will blow away your Banshee in a drag. I don't know too much about dirtbikes, but what is the difference between a DRZ400 and a DR400? Because I drag raced a DR400 with a full exhaust on hard pack sand in a long, probably close to 300 yard long race and beat him every time by about 4 lengths. This guy was a good rider also, and we raced probably 10 times by the end of the day. Now maybe the DR is tuned down from a DRZ, so I dunno. But at the beginning of the day before I raced it, they told me how a guy they ride with who has a stock Raptor got beat every time by the DR. So maybe my mods are doing more for me than I think?? That could be part of the reason why I beat the CR125R, even though he was piped and jetted too, what do u think???

Old 10-04-2001, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

You are all big ****** that cant ride for sh*t. I could take all of you on my rip a** 91 blaster..

Quick Reply: To those that were totally positive that a 125 dirtbike can SMOKE a Raptor.