Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

To those that were totally positive that a 125 dirtbike can SMOKE a Raptor.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...without being 100% sure...I believe the DR is slightly older than the DRZ. It seems I remember seeing that the drz has a slightly higher amount of compression and a hotter cam...The drz puts out about 40 or maybe a few more horses, weighing in at around 270#... also different gearing which could make a world of difference in a drag situation. Who knows though....I rode the banshee and a buddy rode my drz....I beat him on the banshee..but he could not hammer it..only rode bikes a few times.
That's why I always question a lot of these drag races. I know that a powerful machine always seems like it should win...But in my experiences...It seems the rider is the one that puts the power to the ground (so to say). That's why I love the posts that say "how much skill does it take to pin the throttle and hold on" ...If that's all that these people think it takes to win a race..then they have never raced.

My banshee is bored once over, piped, reeds, airbox mods, jetting. That's about it for engine mods. But still fast as heck. The drz is stock except for airbox and jetting changes. On a gps, the drz topped out at about 98 mph. I need a mount for the banshee and I will check it's speed soon.
Again...I will never cut down the Raptor..why would I? It seems like a good bike. They all are. I just like to ride. In the end, I could care less about who is faster in a strait line or anywhere for all that matters. Unless I specifically sign up for a race...then I'm there to have fun. The other riders could be on go carts...and I would respect them just the same for enjoying the same sport I do.
Not saying I would not like to try racing a raptor though. With the banshee or the DRZ. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Have fun all...glad to see this post has not gone out of control with the bashing.

Old 10-04-2001, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Well it figures..just as I hit send....someone comes along and ruines the last line in my post.

<< You are all big ****** that cant ride for sh*t. I could take all of you on my rip a** 91 blaster.. >>

Should you be at school at this time of the day? Oh yeah..pre school gets out half day. ;o

Old 10-04-2001, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

Well, from what I read on this board the Raptor is by no means the best drag racing machine out there. But from my experiences where I've never lost a drag race (Banshee's, 250R's, the DR400, 400EX's, and now the CR125R), I've decided to take this opportunity to pat myself on the back and say I'm an awesome rider, since thats what makes the most sense :-D.

All kidding aside I thought of something today...

Maybe there is more skill to drag racing than I thought. It just never seemed like a difficult thing to me. But I know we all post lots of drag racing stories on here and 99% of the time we say that we ourselves won the race. And from many of the &quot;my DS has never lost to a Raptor&quot;, and &quot;my Raptor has never lost to a DS&quot; stories (or switch out the DS for a Banshee..same thing) I've come to a conclusion. Maybe we who post on these boards don't lose very often in drag races (even when we should) because we are enthusiasts who are good at what we do and spend more time doing it and researching than the people we race. Maybe thats why the people that lost these drag races are nowhere to be found, because they aren't into it as much and don't put as much bank in what happens. They aren't into the sport as much and maybe thats why they don't come online and read about this stuff several times a day like we do?? Hmmm, anyone agree or disagree??

Old 10-04-2001, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

I totally agree. I mean how many people are riding around on 400EX's that the throttle isn't all the way open. If they wouldn't read this board or do some kind of tinkering with their carb they'd never know.
Same with the trick of changing the DS's toe out setting. Same with flipping the Raptors rear linkage. If you sift through the crap on this board there is alot of good info on here.

And I never lose to a Raptor on days that end in Y. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2001, 03:32 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I don't drag race. Chet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2001, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

That is true...I would hope that everyone that comes to this board is an enthusiast with an above average interest in the sport. And, yes, I figure that most of the people that get involved with a nice lengthy discussion have done there homework, tinkered and most importantly...are interested in learning from others.

Old 10-04-2001, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

Well i think rider has a LOt to do with it!For example on my new blaster i just got i wasnt really used to it and i didnt know when to shift but i did PIN it tho but i still lost to my brothers recon,now that i am getting better i can beat him.Also on my old pos trx 200 wth shot suspension i could keep up to a mojave rider n the woods and some of the 400ex around here!!!

Old 10-04-2001, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

I think the dr is the dual sport version whichwood be slower and the drz is the offroad version which wood be lighter and faster,im not sure tho!

Old 10-04-2001, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

No the DR is the older completly different motored version of the current DRZ. The Dual Sport version is called the DRZ-S. A modern 125 MXer makes 35HP, I will post numerous Dyno charts if you'd like. A Raptor makes the same or less HP and weighs a staggering 200 pounds more and fires half as many times, it is impossible for one to be anywhere near as fast as a fire breathing MXer in any way shape or form. A typical 125 makes all its power at high RPM and stops making power around 13,000 RPM, so the staement of &quot;The Raptor really has it beat on top&quot; is complete nonsense! What tends to happen is kids get put on 125s, so maybe it was some kid who was new to riding and wasn't privy to the importance of proper shifting on a peaky torque-less screamer.

Old 10-04-2001, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer

Just to chime in on this issue....

125cc MX's are relatively strong bikes, but all of their power is on the top end. They HAVE to be opened up, regardless of the gear, to get power. My KX 125 had to be WOT to generate any type of acceleration. So, what the rider does is critical to the bikes performance. A driver has to wind the **** out of it and shift at the very top of the gears. In addition, the longer the race the better it is for a 125. My KX 125 had 6 speeds and it takes some time to get through all of them (shifting at the top)...

250cc MX's are a different story in that they ALWAYS feel like the are in powerband. They can pull in higher gears, where the 125 would have to be down shifted. My bike is almost 10 years old (very well taken care of, but still old) with some modest modification and it pulls like a frigging rocket.

I have not had the chance to race a Raptor (but when I do I will post the results). However, I did race a stock 400EX, we were on a rolling, winding fire road and it wasn't even a race.... I was pulling away from him and letting off of the gas before I got all the way through 4th gear.

Stock vs. stock, I think a 250MX will beat any 4-weeler made today. I think the closest competition would have been the Quad Racer 500, but even then I would have serious doubts. The power-to-weight ratio and the gearing make those MX bikes insanely quick and fast. It's like racing a motorcycle with a car, any car....

Just my thoughts from my experiences. By the way, speed isn't everything, I'd rather have high performace 4-wheeler over a MX any day....

Quick Reply: To those that were totally positive that a 125 dirtbike can SMOKE a Raptor.