Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A-ARMS and SHOCKS...or just SHOCKS on my Raptor???????

Old 01-18-2002, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I really need to change the A-Arms on my Raptor to +2 +1, or will a good set of front shocks make almost the same improvement? The stock A-Arms seem to be pretty good, and I'm wondering if changing them is just overkill. Stock width seems to be in the ballpark, and I feel like maybe all I need to do is widen out the very narrow rear end to match. Anyone have any comparative views on this front suspension issue? Also, is the rear shock ('02) worth keeping and revalving, or should it be changed out too? I want better suspension, but don't want to do the unnecessary. Also, anyone have braided steel brake lines on their Raptor...and how is the improvement? Please, you suspension gurus, let me know what you think. Much thanks!!

Old 01-18-2002, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, it sounds like new shocks are all you need. A good set of triple rates that are "zero preload" or "self sagging" should meet your needs. Of course, Pontiac will tell you that "wider is better"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2002, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

<< A good set of triple rates that are &quot;zero preload&quot; or &quot;self sagging&quot; should meet your needs. >>

I do not see the need for zero preload shocks (self sagging device) if you do not race mx. I am looking into getting new shocks as well and I have spoken to both PEP distributers and Elka themself and the SSD shocks lower your ride height, this would help with cornering but with regular riding and jumping I do not want to sacrifice my ride height. Also, from what I understand, that if you do not need to adjust your rebound stiffness, i.e. for racing, the compression adjustable only shocks will give you almost an inch of more travel.

Old 01-18-2002, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

Some guy around here(this forum) has a set of HOUSER RACING LONG TRAVEL Aarms.... Since the raptor frame is a norrow style front end it gives a super good handling like the PROTRAX front ends used by all the top racers....

The best way to recongnize the long travel a-arms is that the shock bolt to the bottong of the a-arm and not on top like OEM......

Old 01-18-2002, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience, all of my ground clearance issues I have had have been with the rear end (swingarm skid plate) and that would not be affected by the zp or ssd style shocks or the fact that the stock suspension is too soft for a 225 lb rider like myself because that height is determined by tire size. My swingarm skid is beat to h#**, but the chassis skid is relatively undamaged. This leads me to believe that the zp or ssd style shocks are a good thing to have because of the better handling. As a side note, and this is not to justify my side, but when I went to my first GNCC (Scarecrow) last year, I was actually stunned at how low these guys had thier quads set compared to stock.