ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   would a piped Raptor beat a stock Quadzilla? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/58238-would-piped-raptor-beat-stock-quadzilla.html)

DSAPP 02-27-2002 12:40 PM

I'm talking straight line drag racing.... on pavement, not sand, gravel, or dirt

a stock Raptor with the best pipe, jet kit, and airbox mods
VS
a stock LT500 that is in like-new condition, or even rebuilt to stock specs

what's everyone's best guess as to who would pull ahead first and who would have the highest top speed?

BadBombardier650 02-27-2002 01:29 PM

Yea I would like to know this one also. How about a piped , jetted, K&n equipped DS 650 with Ohtsu Radial tires aginst a Stock Quadzilla? I know the Quadzilla would have a higher top speed than me just for the fact that I cant go over 74 mph. Rev Limiter. But what about from a dead stop to about 70.

bt660 02-27-2002 01:34 PM

the zilla would prolly eat them alive...

waynaferd 02-27-2002 01:59 PM

Heh heh, Zilla's were stopped being made because too many people were getting killed, Raptors and DS's are currently available from some companies modified for more power......You do the math[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Actually, I think they were discontinued for another reason too, along with the LT250 and the 250R, but I like telling people that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Stock Zilla-51hp, fast revving, 499.5cc power valved single cylinder 2-stroke

Raptor/DS-less than 40hp stock, less than 45hp with a pipe, 653 and 660cc single cylinder 4-strokes (while some people say the Raptor is also fast revving).......Plus the Zilla weighs close to the Raptor, just under 400 pounds......

Add a pipe to the Zilla, or modify them eqaully (pipes, airboxes, cam/reeds, ect), and the LT500R will still wax 'em all

biggerisbetter 02-27-2002 02:23 PM

Ive out ran Zilla's and been smoked by Zilla's. Can't say really what was done to them, but I have a couple of friends that have their Zilla's piped,ported/polished,bored 120 over,Big carb and Its not pretty what they do to my DS.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Biggerisbetter.

Bandit99 02-27-2002 02:26 PM

I've raced 2 zillas on my stock raptor. The first had a trinity modded motor and pipe, and he smoked me. The second was bone stock, except it had been bored over a tad for a rebuild. I was neck and neck with this one, but he had the gears to get me by a tad on the top end. My Yoshi system will be here friday, and I'll see if I can't race him again, and I'll post the results for y'all.

RaptorDude 02-27-2002 02:34 PM

I have my raptor with a pipe Jet kit and airbox mods (10- 3/4" holes) and my brother has a Quadzilla...(My old ride [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] ) And no doubt the zilla is faster straight line drags. I can hang close till 3rd or 4th but then the Zilla just pulls away. It has an FMF pipe on it.

Nocando

prs311 02-27-2002 03:26 PM

Haha! Man, the Zilla, what a beast!! It'll smoke that raptor unfortunately. I imagine you could do a ton of mods to the raptor and still fall short of the zilla.

Maxima 02-27-2002 04:48 PM

That's a good one for the Magazine's to pick-up on. Stock Raptor vs Stock Quadzilla!!!! ATVAction, Dirtwheels, & all the others magazines are you listening. Honestly...I'll go with....Quadzilla!!!! It would be great to see that shoot-out.

cctman 02-27-2002 05:27 PM

How about a piped banshee vs. a stock zilla. Somehow, I don't think the zilla would have the edge anymore. Anybody have any old magazines on any shootouts of the banshee vs. the zilla, or moded banshee vs. moded zilla? I know that was Yamaha's weapon against the venerable zilla in its day.