Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wheeling on the Yamaha Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 10:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering how hard it it to wheelie on the raptor. I read that it is hard to wheeile but never said why. I know the 400ex is easy to wheelie because i have rode my friends and i am chosing in between getting the 400ex or the raptor. I am also wondering how hard is it to climb big steep hills on the raptor because there are some huge hills that we climb near our trails. I read that it is hard to climb hills because it gets half way up the hill and then the power really kicks in and then it brings the front wheels up and usually flips. I would really appreciate the info.

Old 03-19-2002, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

never seen one flip going up a hill. i've seen lots doing wheelies. it looks easy hope this helps

Old 03-19-2002, 10:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The front end of the Raptor is very light. Wheelieing is easy once you find the balance point of any bike/quad. Getting the front end up on the Raptor to start your wheelie will not be a problem. As far as climbing hills there is no problem there either. It will climb just about any hill you want. The front end is light (thats actualy a good thing, imo) so you will have to compensate for the hill while climbing. The power band is smooth and does not just pop in when you least expect it. jmo

Old 03-20-2002, 02:09 AM
Trailblazer

Biggest thing about a Raptor is it's a bit short, so it does have a bit of a flip tendancy if you don't take steps to avoid it. Easiest thing to do is get a +1 or +2 swingarm and a +2 axle, fixes it's tendancy to high-side and flip.

But, if you're very aware of the bike and know what you're doing and can keep your head about you it won't be a problem. I can't say that I have that ability, as I've already "Looped" my Raptor once. Amusingly, I couldn't keep my wits about me enough to prevent the flip, but once I knew it was coming I was very calm and kept good control of the bike (400lbs + fluids isn't as heavy as I thought it would be). Gave my quad some road rash though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

For what it's worth, I've climbed a few hills on mine without problem. Biggest nightmare for me anyways is stalling it. It's downright scary having to hold it and clutch it back into movement on a steep incline. Gives me the chills just thinking about it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2002, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

raptor is a wheelie machine, the front end comes up anytime you hit the throttle. I have to push my weight over the front end on the big hills to keep from flipping it, but that will change when I get my +2 swingarm installed, I cant imagine anyone saying the raptor is hard to wheelie though, it comes up much easier than the 400ex

Old 03-20-2002, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

Yup. Have to agree here. The Raptor is a wheelie machine. Love those wheelies. Now with my mods, I can wheelie in any gear. Before the mods, it was tough to bring it up in 4th. It has tons of power, and if you get your weight over the rear wheels, you will have no probs lofting the front wheels.

As for hillclimbing 'issues', its all in the rider. I have seen every type of machine climb hills, and it isn't the machine. You can watch 250Rs, 400EXs, 300EXs, Lakotas, Warriors, Banshees, Raptors, LT's all climb hills, and it is just as likely that a rider who can climb them on a 300EX, can climb it on another machine. It is all in the rider and their experience.

The raptor is fine for climbing hills.

RM

Old 03-20-2002, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

I love my raptor, but I personally don't think it climbs hills all that great out of the box... it's to light in the front.. easily fixed with a swingarm extension.. I just added 4.5 inches to mine and I expect it to be a lot better this year...

Brad

Old 03-20-2002, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

i think it wheelys to easy. if you ever watch raptors drag. watch the riders...anyone under 200lbs has to sit on the tank off the line to keep the front end down.

the only problem i've found with wheeling a raptor, is the dead spot. right before the balance point thry seem to sputter. after i jetted mine...it seemed to go away. anyone else experience this?

Old 03-20-2002, 06:58 PM
jad
Range Rover

you say you can wheelie in 4th gear? Do you have to help it by pulling up or shifting you weight(bouncing on the seat) You can't be going along in 4th gear and just hit the throtle. That don't work on mine even in 3rd. gear.

Old 03-20-2002, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Wilmington, IL checks in! hey jad!

I have trouble keeping the balance point. From dead stop I can wheelie to the end of second then shifting to third I have a problem. It's probably cuz' I'm freakin' flyin' and have a hard time keeping that high center point. I believe if I give a good pull I can get the tires up in third I can't see doin' that in fourth with a stock motor, maaaybee with a filter and pipe.

Quick Reply: Wheeling on the Yamaha Raptor