Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

did some dirt drag tests today and these are the results...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all this was performed on my raptor, so take the engine set-up into consideration. the brand new shredders(borrowed friends tires) spun like crazy off the line and only after half track was the good grip noticeable. my paddle masters are too low-profile to run with a 12 or 13 sprocket.(10inch wheels) staying with the stockers and a 12.(fastest set-up i tried) the stockers just bit faster. also the filter question. i'm jetted 180/190 without the lid. with my new k+n filter the throttle response just seemed off. so i changed back to the stock filter and BOOM everything was right in the world again. spark plug looked like it should and all that. today was clear and about 73 degrees here in ms. so how much further can i go with the jetting? because obviously i'm lean with the k+n. or is the problem something else? like the head needs porting, bigger carbs, ect.
will the k+n set-up work better when it actually gets hot here? these tests were conducted racing a friend and his piped banshee with boysen valves. other things i could just feel. i can't tell you how many times we raced over 4 hrs. but every test was repeated to minimize driver error. he tried the paddle masters as well. seemed to benifit the banshee out of the hole more than my raptor. still too slow after that though. this was my findings. maybe someone has done something simular and can give me some input. may be this can save someone some time. but it was fun nevertheless.

Old 03-24-2002, 12:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

180/190 with no lid and the K&N should respond way better than with the stock filter. Stock filter means a lid is required and less air flow. JMO So who won the drags? You or the Banshee?

Old 03-24-2002, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

i cut the lid off from the first 2 clamps and the corner on back. that way it will still hold either filter tightly in place. i can't explain the performance. somehow it's still not getting the fuel it requires. these are not dyno jets or anything like that. just larger jets from yamaha. could be the diff. what do ya think? anyway, i like the performance. just would like to get my $40 worth from that k+n. oh yeah, i beat the banshee all day long by atleast 2+ lengths. later.

Old 03-24-2002, 01:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well, I'm certainly not the one to ask about jetting thats for sure. Where is the needle clip position? If its never been changed try moving it down one groove at a time useing your K&N and see if you can get it to respond better that way. Moving it down one groove will increase the fuel and response from 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle.

Old 03-24-2002, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

thanks.